Saturday, July 25, 2015

He gave me a gift… to give it away

Saturday 7-25-15 (Home Modesto, California)

Scripture reading:  Isaiah 43-45    1 Peter 4

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  1 Peter 4:10-11 God has given gifts to each of you from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Manage them well so that God's generosity can flow through you. Are you called to be a speaker? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Are you called to help others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then God will be given glory in everything through Jesus Christ. All glory and power belong to him forever and ever. Amen. NLT


O.  God doesn’t wait for Christmas or a birthday to give His marvelous gifts.  We cannot brag that we have earned them.  They are just that: “gifts” from heaven above.  But along with these gifts comes a responsibility.  We are instructed to “pass it on.”


A.  I am called of God to be an open channel so that His generous blessings can flow through me.  I may have received only one gift from God or a variety of His gifts, but they are not for me to hoard.  I must be an open channel.  I must seek to discover my gift, then develop it by practicing it in a way that blesses others.  I must perform it with all the enthusiasm, strength and energy that God supplies.  And in the end I must not look back and say, “See what I have accomplished!”  For I must recognize that if anything good has been achieved, it must not have my name attached to it, but His.


P.  Lord, these are sobering thoughts.  If I have received much, then I am responsible to give much.  Jesus, You instructed Your disciples, “Freely you have received, freely give.” (Matt 10:8)  So where am I in this equation?  Am I truly giving it away as generously as You are pouring it in?  Or am I selfishly gloating over “my gift.”  Oh God, help me to cast it all on Your altar of sacrifice.  Help me to give it back to You by sharing it with others.  Help me to preach tomorrow with all the enthusiasm, strength, energy and anointing that Your Holy Spirit supplies.  And as precious souls come to surrender at Your feet, may I give You all the glory!  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment