Friday, July 10, 2015

A Friend in High Places

Saturday 7-11-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:    Isaiah 8-10    Heb 8

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Heb 8:1-2  Here is the main point: Our High Priest sat down in the place of highest honor in heaven, at God's right hand.  There he ministers in the sacred tent, the true place of worship that was built by the Lord and not by human hands. NLT


O.  The writer of the book directed especially to the Hebrews has reminded them of the covenant that God made with Israel many years ago and the elegant tent, the portable tabernacle which Moses made according to the instructions given him on Mount Sinai.  Now he sums up what he has written in the previous chapters saying all this was a picture of what was to come.  A new covenant with Jesus as High Priest seated at the Father’s right hand and pleading on our behalf in the glorious structure that God Himself had made.  There He presents His own shed blood in the Holy of Holies before the mercy seat to intercede in our favor. 


A.  When in 1968 we moved to San Juan to plant a church, I was befriended the very first day by Dr. Ferreyra, a lawyer who served in a high political position (Ministro del Gobierno) second only to the governor and who replaced the governor in his absence.  He took me out to dinner and treated me like royalty.  Later when I found all the banks refusing to cash my US dollar checks into Argentine pesos, I mentioned this to him one day. 


He told me to be in the office of commerce the next morning at 9 AM.  I showed up.  He had gathered the presidents of all the banks of the city for coffee and rolls.  He introduced me to them and let me tell them my intentions in coming to their city.  I was actually allowed to give them a brief gospel message.  He didn’t mention checks or money or anything of that nature.  After it was all over, I called that to his attention.  He said, “Oh. That wasn’t necessary.  Now you can cash your checks in any bank you choose.”  And it was true. 


In fact one bank president allowed me… and almost pled with me to share Jesus with him… and yelled at his secretary to shut the door when she tried to tell him there was a long line forming.  It pays to have friends in high places.


P.  Lord Jesus, You are my Friend in the highest place of all.  You are there at the right hand of Your Father!  You are pleading my cause… although I am unworthy.  You opened the door of heaven open for me.  Help me Lord, to introduce many of my needy companions to You… so they, too, will have a “Friend in high places.”  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment