Monday, July 6, 2015

I Come! Just as I am!

Monday 7-6-15 (Home in Modesto)

Scripture reading:    Hosea 6-9    Heb 3


S.  Hosea 6:1-3 "Come, let us return to the LORD! He has torn us in pieces; now he will heal us. He has injured us; now he will bandage our wounds.  In just a short time, he will restore us so we can live in his presence.  Oh, that we might know the LORD! Let us press on to know him! Then he will respond to us as surely as the arrival of dawn or the coming of rains in early spring." NLT


O.  These ancient prophets spoke only what they heard from the Lord.  Hosea’s message was a cry against the evils of Israel and pleading for God’s wayward people to return to their true lover.  Generations had passed.  From little children they had been taught that this golden calf is their god.  All kinds of sin was rampant.  Even their priests had formed gangs for evil.   Hosea cries out a plea.  “Come, let us return to the Lord…  Oh, that we might know Him… Let’s get serious about this and press in to really know Him!”


But Israel wasn’t listening.  They stoned God’s prophets, banished them to dungeons, isolated one in a muddy cistern and sawed another one in half.  So in God’s “fullness of time” He sent us His Son, Jesus.  He came to reveal the heart of God His Father.  He came so that human eyes could see God.  Jesus declared, “If you have seen me, you have seen the Father. 


A.  God was giving me a chance to really know Him.  My eternal destiny hangs on “What will I do with Jesus?”  He offers to bandage and heal my wounds, restore me so that I can live in God’s presence.  He opens the door so that I can know God, the Father.  He encourages me today not to give up, but to press on and really know Him.


P.  Loving Heavenly Father, through Your holy Word I can hear You calling me today.  “Come!  Press in!  Persevere! My beloved Son, Jesus, at the cost of His blood has opened the door to my presence.  Don’t miss it.  Don’t ignore it.  Come without fear.  I am waiting for You.  I want You to know me.”  So help me to respond today with all my heart: “Lord, I can’t patch myself up.  I come, just as I am.  I cast myself upon Your mercy, Your grace and our love.”  Amen.


Ralph
1. Just as I am, without one plea,
but that thy blood was shed for me,
and that thou bidst me come to thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

2. Just as I am, and waiting not
to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

3. Just as I am, though tossed about
with many a conflict, many a doubt,
fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

4. Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
sight, riches, healing of the mind,
yea, all I need in thee to find,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

5. Just as I am, thou wilt receive,
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
because thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

6. Just as I am, thy love unknown
hath broken every barrier down;
now, to be thine, yea thine alone,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Charlotte Elliott, 1789-1871



No comments:

Post a Comment