Monday, July 20, 2015

Tame that beast!

Sunday 7-19-15 (Anaheim, California… at Dante and Liliana Gebel’s Church)

Scripture reading: 2 Kings 17    2 Chron 28    Ps 46     James 3

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  James 3:10-11 “And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!  Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water?” NLT


O.  Welcome to Pastor James’ church.  We often refer to the New Testament Church as a model for us to follow.  And I am sure in its beginning it would merit such imitation.  But now a few decades had passed and… well, maybe somebody’s tongue had started rumors… and a spark had started a forest fire.


A.  So Pastor James grabs a fire extinguisher and runs into the forest.  And I am over here a few centuries away patting myself on the back.  I’m so glad that I have my tongue under control.  I would never… or would I?  When I hear a juicy morsel of gossip from a “good source”* how do I react?  Am I thinking, “Who can I share this with?”  (to pray for the offender,” of course)  Or am I searching for a fire extinguisher to spray on that “good source”*?
 

*Fact is: Gossip is never, and has never been a “good source”… a gossiping tongue is an evil thing.  My wagging tongue can send my neighbor to heaven or to hell.


P.  Lord Jesus, please come deal with my tongue.  It’s getting too limber.  It seems to wag too easily.  It responds too quickly before my brain has considered the potential consequences.  Maybe it exaggerates a little bit to make me look better.  I ask you to “nip that in the bud.”  Oh!  It already blossomed?  Okay, then snip it at its root.  Please make my tongue to be an instrument for good, under Your control.  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment