Friday, July 17, 2015

My Helper

Wednesday 7-16-15 (Home, Modesto, California)

Scripture reading:    Isaiah 25-28    Heb 13

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Heb 13:5-6 Stay away from the love of money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, "I will never fail you.  I will never forsake you."  That is why we can say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper, so I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?" NLT


O.  It’s a proven fact, the more you have the more you want.  Money can grab you when you get some.  But our Lord is not going to let us struggle through life alone.  He is Emmanuel “God with us.”  He promises not to forsake us.  If you are going to have a helper, get the powerful 24/7 kind.


A.  We had nothing when we got married.  No bank account, no savings, no furniture, no refrigerator, no couch... The simple double bed totally filled the tiny one room apartment.  Our only chairs were in the crowded kitchen.  We did have a 10 year old Pontiac car.  Frances rode the bus to work.  She earned 35 cents per hour and was later raised to 65 cents, I think.  I was studying in seminary and had two jobs… afternoon and night.  We were rich, but not in money.  We had the two basic ingredients for a successful, happy marriage: Love… a whole lot of that… and our Helper, Jesus.  Now, Frances has left me for a better place, but the Lord is still my Helper.


P.  Lord Jesus, You know we were never rich in money, but we were rich in love and Your unfailing presence.  Do You remember one late afternoon while I was studying and suddenly our lights went out?  I went outside to see what had happened… and the man from electric company had red-tagged our meter.  I told him that we had always paid our bills on time.  He just laughed at me.  I begged him to wait while I found the receipt, but he was in a hurry.  I dashed into the house and searched in the dark.  He was getting in his truck to leave… when You helped me find it.  Then he apologized and turned on our lights again.  You did lots of nice little things like that for us, Jesus.  Life was not hard.  We were in love with each other and with You.  Thanks for still being my Helper today.  I would be in the dark without You.  Amen.


Ralph 

No comments:

Post a Comment