Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A Young Skinny Wimp Stands Up

Wednesday 7-29-15 (Home Modesto, California)

Scripture reading:  Isaiah 57-59    Ps 103   2 Peter 3

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Ps 103:1-2  Praise the LORD, I tell myself; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name.  Praise the LORD, I tell myself, and never forget the good things he does for me. NLT


O.  The 103rd Psalm has special meaning for me.  When I was 13 years old, my pastor, William Booth-Clibborn, encouraged me to memorize and quote this entire psalm to the congregation… and he added “with hand motions and expression.”  He knew that I was a skinny wimp that couldn’t stand up in front of anyone and speak.  He was probably trying to knock that wimpy attitude out of me.  Well, I did memorize the psalm and I did quote it for all… even with hand motions.  Back in those days there was never applause in the church.  The church was a place for honoring God, not men or even kids.  But he honored me with a book of missionary stories taken from his personal library.


A.  This psalm has to be one of the most beautiful in the book.  It encourages me to speak to my own soul, “Bless the Lord, Oh my soul, and all that is within me, Bless His holy name.  Bless the Lord, Oh my soul, and forget not all his benefits.”  Then it starts listing His benefits: Forgiveness of my sins tops the list, then healing me from all diseases.  He redeems my life from destruction and crowns me with loving kindness and tender mercy.  He even satisfies my mouth with good things and when I am getting old, He renews my youth like the eagle.  And the list goes on and on.


P.  So I do bless You, Lord.  My soul cries out with praise.  The list of things that you have done for me is unending.  But I praise You not only for what You have done for me, but for Who You are.  You are both my Creator and my Savior.  Like Adam, You breathed into my nostrils the breath of life and I became a living soul.  Then one day, when I was bent toward a sinful life, You heard my childish cry and once more breathed on me, this time with Your breath of spiritual life.  And then at 17 years old, You breathed again on me and I broke out praising You in tongues I did not know.  Now Lord I am 83 years old.  How about doing that “eagle thing” on me next?  What’s that You’re saying?  You’ve already done it!?  That’s the reason I can still be active in Your service?  Thank you, Lord!  And now please breathe again on me with Your special anointing for ministry.  Amen.


Ralph
The Breath of God
Wonderful song by my pastor, William Booth-Clibborn

There’s a wind that blows full of life and power
As in all creation’s most solemn hour
When God gently breathed on a form of sod
And the first man lived by the breathe of God

Chorus:
Let it breathe on me
Let it breathe on me
Let the breath of God no breathe on me (repeat)

Sweet the sound from heaven as with tongues of fire
Suddenly the wind filled the room entire
As of old, again send Thy Spirit, Lord
Let it breathe on us, while in one accord.

Chorus:

Blessed breath of Life, no one seems to know
From whence this wind comes, neither where it goes.
But the broken heart, the surrendered will,
And the hungry soul it will surely fill.

Chorus:







No comments:

Post a Comment