Friday, July 31, 2015

Ralph, Alias Thomas, Hiatt

Friday 7-31-15 (Home Modesto, California)

Scripture reading:  Isaiah 63-64    Ps 107    John 2

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  John 2:11 This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was Jesus' first display of his glory. And his disciples believed in him.
John 2:23-25  Because of the miraculous signs he did in Jerusalem at the Passover celebration, many people were convinced that he was indeed the Messiah.  But Jesus didn't trust them, because he knew what people were really like. No one needed to tell him about human nature. NLT


O.  The word was out.  Over there in Cana, Jesus had turned water into wine.  Now everybody in Jerusalem was raving about a miracle working Jesus.  He was tough, too.  He cleared the market-place out of the temple area.  He was Superman, Batman and Spiderman all wrapped in one.  He had defied the top authorities of the temple grounds.  He was the talk of the town, the hero of the poor and downtrodden.  Hurray for Jesus!  But Jesus was not impressed by the fickle crowd.


A.  If I had been standing in a crowd of excited people that day… all talking about the miracle worker, would I have believed in Him?  I confess, I have a skeptical streak in me that seeks proof before commitment.  I would not have been satisfied to hear rumors.  I would have dashed over to the other side of town to witness Jesus’ miracles for myself.  I would have interviewed jumping paralytics and talked with deaf-mutes… then maybe I would have come on board.  I should have been named “Thomas.”


In Argentina, when people were lining up alongside Evangelist Carlos Annacondia’s platform to testify of instant miracles received that night… I was right there interviewing these happy people before they went up.  Several were testifying to have new fillings in their teeth.  I had just examined the mouth of a little ragged boy who was with his mother.  He had two shining fillings in his molars. “Are you sure you haven’t been to a dentist?” “Of course not!” They both almost laughed at me.  Kids that age living in the poverty class, could never have considered filling a tooth.  His mother calmly told me that her daughter got 4 fillings the previous night.  And there were several such cases, most of them adults.  “Okay, Ralph Hiatt, alias ‘Thomas’, you can go back and rejoice with the crowd of onlookers now.”


P.  Thank You, Lord, for putting up with me. But I do have legitimate questions, You know.  For instance, why not just create a new tooth?  What’s with the fillings?  Did I hear you say, “To show other people? So all their neighbors will come hear the gospel?”  Well, it sure worked, God!  Look at this crowd of tens of thousands standing for 4 hours with no chairs!”  I just hope they are not fickle.  What’s that You are saying?  “Quit being so negative!”  Lord, I bet You sometimes wonder why You ever chose me for Your missionary.  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment