Saturday, August 1, 2015

A bride wants to be close to her lover

Saturday 8-1-15 (Home Modesto, California)

Scripture reading:  Isaiah 65-66    Ps 62    John 3

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  John 3:28-30  You yourselves know how plainly I told you that I am not the Messiah. I am here to prepare the way for him — that is all. The bride will go where the bridegroom is. A bridegroom's friend rejoices with him. I am the bridegroom's friend, and I am filled with joy at his success. He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less. NLT


O.  Hey, John!  You remember the man you pointed out as the coming Messiah?  He’s up-stream baptizing more people than you.  A bunch of your most faithful members are hanging out with Him now.  What should we do about this?  And in John’s answer we find the first time anyone, aside from Christ Himself, makes reference to the followers of Jesus as His bride.  “Where do you expect the bride to hang-out?  She will want to be close to her lover.  Let them go!  They are no longer mine, but His.  The purpose of my ministry was only to introduce Him.  Now I must fade away and disappear from the scene.  But His ministry is just beginning to blossom.” NUHV*


A.  Oh, how I need to absorb John the Baptist’s attitude! 


As I was approaching retirement a minister friend of mine suggested that I start an official “Ralph Hiatt Ministry” so that I could raise funds and grow something big.  Fortunately I had better sense than that.  I knew that I was destined to fade out of the picture, but was… and still am… determined to introduce the glorious Bridegroom and King of Kings to as many potential followers as possible… hoping that they, too, will fall in love with the Lover of their soul and join the great bridal procession.


P.  Dear Lord Jesus, I like Your cousin, John the Baptist.  He had his priorities right.  He was willing to introduce You and step aside.  He built up anticipation, announcing One that would soon show up.  Then one day You walked down the river slope and he said, “That’s Him!  The Lamb of God that will take away the sins of the world!”  And even though he had crowds of hundreds coming to him for baptism, he was pleased to hear that You were attracting his crowd now.  I want to be like that, Lord.  May I introduce many to You and rejoice to see them become Your followers, not mine.  Amen.


Ralph


*NUHV New Unauthorized Hiatt Version

No comments:

Post a Comment