Wednesday, August 12, 2015

But, Lord, please be gentle

Wednesday 8-12-15 (Home in Modesto)

Scripture reading:  Jer. 10 – 12    John 14

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Jer 10:23-24  I know, LORD, that a person's life is not his own. No one is able to plan his own course.  So correct me, LORD, but please be gentle. Do not correct me in anger, for I would die.  NLT


O.  Jeremiah has been assigned a difficult task.  He must travel and preach a frightening, warning message in Jerusalem and the surrounding towns.  His words are not his own.  Surely he would have preferred to have a soft and pleasant message for his people, but instead he is threatened with death by some who dislike his preaching.  He realizes that his life is not his own.  His Lord has a planned course for him.  He will need correction when he strays to the right or the left.  “But, Lord, please be gentle.”


A.  Since my mid-adolescent days I have called out to God to show me my course.  He never laid it out for me.  He knew that I was not ready to know that I would one day serve as a missionary.  So day by day He would need to correct my course.  He did not jerk me around, like trying to steer a stubborn mule, but gently showed me open doors while He was closing others.  The Psalmist wrote, “Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle…” Ps 32:9 NIV


In January of 1960 I had agreed to take Frances and our three boys to Paramount, California to fill a position in a large church with a powerful TV ministry.  I would be directing the worship, choir and orchestra, leading the youth program and in charge of Christian education.  The salary was attractive, a nice house provided and all systems were “go”.  The date for the move was set.  The pastor in Paramount was expecting us.  But unexpectedly God opened a door to become lead pastor of a small church in the mountain town of Colfax and He literally… but gently, pushed me in.  I had to call Paramount and back down.  When I look back now, I realize that our 3 years in Colfax proved to be the open door to the mission field for us.  God had a plan.


P.  I want to thank you again, Lord, for your tender, but firm leading.  My life is not my own.  You bought me with the price of Your own blood.  You called me when I could barely stand with shaking knees before a handful of people.  You opened the right door for us and gently pushed us through.  Who knows where I might be without Your tender correction?  And now as I look toward Spain and El Salvador in the coming months, I ask You to keep Your gentle hands on the reigns of my life and continue to guide my steps.  Amen.


Ralph
Lead Me, Savior
by Frank M. Davis 1880
1.    Savior, lead me lest I stray,
Gently lead me all the way;
I am safe when by Thy side,
I would in Thy love abide.
o    Refrain:
Lead me, lead me,
Savior, lead me lest I stray;
Gently down the stream of time,
Lead me, Savior, all the way.
2.    Thou the refuge of my soul
When life’s stormy billows roll;
I am safe when Thou art nigh,
All my hopes on Thee rely.
3.    Savior, lead me then at last,
When the storm of life is past,
To the land of endless day,
Where all tears are wiped away.



No comments:

Post a Comment