Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Can I know God?

Tuesday 8-11-15 (Home in Modesto)

Scripture reading:  Jer. 7 – 9    John 11

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Jer 9:23-24  This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise man gloat in his wisdom, or the mighty man in his might, or the rich man in his riches.  Let them boast in this alone: that they truly know me and understand that I am the LORD who is just and righteous, whose love is unfailing, and that I delight in these things. I, the LORD, have spoken! 

Ex 33:13  teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. (Moses)

John 17:3 And this is the way to have eternal life — to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth  NLT


O.  Jeremiah was fighting a losing battle.  His people did not respect him or listen to his counsel.  Now God speaks: “Your worldly wisdom, political power and abundant riches are not worth a hoot.  None of these things compares to truly knowing Me… for I am just, righteous and loving.”  (*NUHV)


A.  What does it mean to “know God?”  Can a mere creature really know his Creator?  Would God lower Himself to walk with man?  He did it in the Garden of Eden.  And He did it again when He took that long walk from childhood to the cross.


P.  Lord, I long to know You more.  You have opened Your loving arms to receive me and I have cast myself upon Your mercy and grace.  You have spoken to my soul.  You have guided me down the path of life.  I have learned to love and cherish You.  And You have opened Your treasure chest and given me Your greatest treasure, fellowship with Your only Son, so that in knowing Him, I can know You more fully.  Still You are too much for me to comprehend.  I suppose that Eternity will not suffice to know you fully.  You will be always be surprising me with Your loving kindness… and I will always be knowing You more intimately.  But until then, I pray… draw me close to Your heart.  Amen.


Ralph
*(NUHV New Unauthorized Hiatt Version)

Oh, I want to know You more
By Steve Green
Just the time I feel, that I've been caught in the mire of self
Just the time I feel, my mind's been bought by worldly wealth
That's when the breeze begins to blow, I know the Spirit's call
And all my worldly wanderings, just melt into His love

Oh, I want to know You more, deep within my soul I want to know you
Oh, I want to know You, to feel your heart and know Your mind
Looking in Your eyes, stirs up within me
Cries that say, "I want to know You, oh, I want to know You, more

And when my daily deeds ordinarily lose life and song
My heart begins to bleed, sensitivity to Him is gone
I've run the race but set my own pace and face a shattered soul
Now, the gentle arms of Jesus, warm my hunger to behold

Oh, I want to know You more, deep within my soul I want to know You
Oh, I want to know You, to feel Your heart and know Your mind
Looking in Your eyes, stirs up within me
Cries that say, "I want to know You, oh, I want to know You

And I would give my final breath
To know You in Your death and resurrection
Oh, I want to know You more
Oh, I want to know You, to know You more
Oh, I want to know You more






No comments:

Post a Comment