Monday, August 3, 2015

Am I dressed for the occasion?

Monday 8-3-15 (Clermont, Florida)

Scripture reading:  Nahum 1-3    John 5

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  John 5:18  So the Jewish leaders tried all the more to kill him. In addition to disobeying the Sabbath rules, he had spoken of God as his Father, thereby making himself equal with God. NLT


O.  Jesus was in trouble again.  This time he had spoken healing to a man who had been paralyzed 38 years.  But, “How nasty can you get?!  He spoke those healing words on their sacred Sabbath day!” 


So now He has two counts against Him.  He broke their Sabbath rules and… now we get to the really big one… “Who does this guy think He is anyway?  He keeps referring to God as His Father… making Himself equal with God.”  Count ‘em, Jesus had referred to their Jehovah God as His Father 13 times in John 5.  He was in big trouble now.  These religious leaders were right.  Jesus words certainly were blasphemy… unless… unless… He really IS the Son of God!


A.  Now, before I judge these Pharisees too harshly, let me put myself in their 
place.  Which way might I have voted if I had stood in this crowd?  What if some preacher were to start to claim that he is God’s one and only favorite son today?  Even if he did outstanding magic tricks or obvious miracles, I’m going to take a good hard look before I fall for his story.  Jesus, Himself, warned us about coming false messiahs.  So I am not likely to be hood-winked by this guy. 


I have to understand that Jesus did not go around with a spotless white, non-wrinkle, perma-press robe and a laser powered halo shining over his head.  He looked just like any other guy.  One of our favorite prophets wrote: “There was nothing beautiful or majestic about his appearance, nothing to attract us to him.” (Isa 53:2 NLT)  He was dressed for the occasion… no show, no splendor.

P.  Jesus, You came to show us Your Father, our powerful Jehovah God.  You did not have to dress up in a majestic kingly robe, for You were clothed with divine love that spoke the word of healing to a desperate man.  You wore no golden, diamond-studded crown upon Your head.  You were crowned with divine mercy and compassion. 


Would it be too much to ask, Lord, for You to dress me up in those same garments that You wore and send me out into my fanatical, religious world?  Do I hear You asking the question, "Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?" (Mark 10:38) NIV.  Well, Lord, I thought so, but now I’m not too sure.  Your cup was so bitter.  Just dress me in enough of Your love, mercy and compassion to reach out to people that are lying helplessly alongside their pool of Bethesda… waiting for Your visit… through me… to give them the new life that only You can give them.  Amen.


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment