Sunday, August 16, 2015

If it hurts, let it hurt!

Sunday 8-16-15 (Home in Modesto)

Scripture reading:  2 Kings 24    Jer. 22    Ps 112   John 18

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S. John 18:4-7 Jesus fully realized all that was going to happen to him. Stepping forward to meet them, he asked, "Whom are you looking for?"  "Jesus of Nazareth," they replied.  "I am he," Jesus said. Judas was standing there with them when Jesus identified himself.  And as he said, "I am he," they all fell backward to the ground!  NLT


O.  Jesus is not hiding.  He steps forward, leaving his disciples behind him and confronts the armed soldiers.  When Jesus identifies Himself He uses the same words that were spoken from the burning bush when Moses had asked for God to identify Himself.  “I AM.  Just tell them I AM has sent you.”  And the words from the burning bush continue… “Ex 3:15  “This will be my name forever; it has always been my name, and it will be used throughout all generations.” Now there in the darkness, Jesus’ words were not mumbled under His breath.  He spoke them with powerful authority… and the captain with his troops, swords, armor, lanterns and all were now picking themselves up off the dirt.  The I AM of all eternity had spoken.


A.  Sometimes when Jesus speaks a few of His majestic words, I find myself picking myself up off the floor.  His words are powerful.  Heb 4:12-13  For the word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are. Nothing in all creation can hide from him. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes. NLT


P.  Lord, as I listen to Your word preached from the pulpit of Neighborhood Church here in Modesto this morning, I ask You to cut to the quick… deep into my soul.  If your knife hurts, let it hurt.  If I fall back, let me fall.  If you want to strip me of my armor until I have no defenses, so be it.  May Your Words penetrate to the depths of my soul and renovate this old man… into a new man… Your new man… fit for Your divine service.  Oh, how I need your holy surgery!  For tomorrow I must go to preach four days this week in the Seniors Camp-meeting at Mount Lassen!  You know that I am helpless in my own strength.  Work Your divine work in me so that I may be equipped to minister under Your Holy Spirit anointing.    Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment