Monday, August 10, 2015

Dad! Stop! But it was too late.

Monday 8-10-15 (Home in Modesto)

Scripture reading:  Jer. 5 – 6    John 10

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Jer. 6:16  So now the LORD says, "Stop right where you are! Look for the old, godly way, and walk in it. Travel its path, and you will find rest for your souls. NLT         


O.  The prophet Jeremiah had a negative, harsh message for God’s rebellious people.  They had walked away from their loving, true God and chosen to follow the idolatry of their neighboring nations.  He cried out, “Stop!  Apply the brakes!  You are headed for destruction!”  But it seemed that his listeners had already gone too far and would not listen.  Jeremiah was not a popular preacher.  He wasn’t likely to be chosen to preach a camp-meeting, or for a district seminar.


A.  I was riding my bike with my son, Tim, and my grandson, Evan.  We were down in Creekwood Valley where there was a nice, safe paved bike-path.  But we were not satisfied with the bike-path.  It was too easy, too boring.  Down closer to the river there was excitement.  Some daring souls had made steep paths that went straight down and then with that acceleration one could, by pumping even faster, go shooting up the next super-steep bank.  We were having a great time.  We had done a bunch of these.  Tim was in the lead.  He followed a path that led him shooting down a vertical bank.  I was right behind him and had already started down the steep bank when I heard Tim shout.  “Dad!  Stop!”  But it was too late.  I came full speed right into danger. 


Someone had dug a two foot deep hole in the middle of the path and had used this dirt to make a hill on the other side.  It was made as a ramp to leap the hole when coming from the opposite way.  The front wheel of my bike dropped into the hole at top speed and I “learned how to fly”.  I was 78 years old at the time and fortunately I made a sliding belly-landing and nothing was seriously damaged except my pride.  Even the bike survived with minimum damage. 


P.  Oh Lord, I thank You for protecting me even when I was doing something foolish… especially taking into consideration my age.  I got the message from Tim, but I got it too late.  There was no way to stop, no turning back… I was committed.  Some people feel like they have gone too far.  They see danger ahead, but cannot… or will not stop.  Jeremiah was calling on a nation to stop and see the danger before them.  But instead they stopped their ears and pedaled on.  Our nation needs a Jeremiah today.  But like the Jewish nation in his day, who would listen?  Lord, have we gone too far?  Can our wonderful America be turned back from its dangerous path?  This morning I intercede for this new, young generation.  Give us hope.  May we stop, listen and Look for the old, godly way, and walk in it.  Amen.


Ralph   



No comments:

Post a Comment