Monday, August 3, 2015

Scoot over, Publican.

Sunday 8-2-15 (Home Modesto, California)

Scripture reading:  2 Kings 21   2 Chron 33    John 4

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  2 Chron 33:12-13  But while in deep distress, Manasseh sought the LORD his God and cried out humbly to the God of his ancestors.  And when he prayed, the LORD listened to him and was moved by his request for help. So the LORD let Manasseh return to Jerusalem and to his kingdom. Manasseh had finally realized that the LORD alone is God!  NLT


O.  Manasseh was born to King Hezekiah during the 15 extra years that the Lord had given his father.  Now at his father’s death, 12 year old Manasseh is suddenly the new king in Jerusalem.  It seems that even godly kings like Hezekiah often did not prepare their sons for their future. Immediately this kid starts destroying every godly thing his father had struggled to erect.  He worships all the worse heathen idols and even offers his own son in the fire to Molech, a hollow iron god with fire inside that apparently was formed with hands outstretched for babies to be placed on red hot iron arms to scream and die.  So God lets him be taken captive and led away by the Assyrians, pulled with a huge ring in his nose…. Ouch.  Now imprisoned and mistreated in Babylon, far from home… he calls on God and… wham!  God listens to this cry-baby and sets him free to return to his throne again.  Now that’s not justice.  It’s unmerited favor… just plain grace!


A.  What am I supposed to learn from Manasseh?  That I can be a jerk, causing pain and havoc for those around me and get away with it?  For one thing it means to me that I cannot earn God’s grace.  I cannot cry out to God saying, “Now You listen to me, God.  I have been a good boy, so You’ve got to rescue me.”  And that is just exactly what I unconsciously do.  I don’t say the words, but I’m thinking it.  I forget that I cannot, by my good deeds, put God in debt to me for one single favor. 


If God had asked me for advice, I probably would have sent Manasseh to the torture chamber and let him scream.  But no, he gets mercy and grace.  Total conversion!  Nasty Manassey becomes Nicey-Man-Nicey… a totally different guy and ends up a good king.  Go figure! 


P.  Lord, I am a slow learner, but I am getting the picture.  I had best not ask for Your justice… only for Your incredible mercy and grace.  I unconsciously find myself contrasting my good deeds alongside Nasty-Manassey and I think I’m pretty cool.  And then You look right past me and bless that rascal over there just because he beats his chest and cries out, “God, be merciful to me, a sinner!”  Oh, I see it now!  It’s the story of the Pharisee and the Publican in a prayer meeting all over again.  And I am on the wrong side.  “Scoot over publican and make a place for me.”  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment