Friday, August 21, 2015

Interlude

Thursday 8-20-15 (Mount Lassen Campmeeting)

Scripture reading:  Jer. 48 – 49   Psalm 67   1 John 1

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Ps 67:1-3  May God be merciful and bless us.  May his face shine with favor upon us.  (Interlude) May your ways be known throughout the earth, your saving power among people everywhere.  May the nations praise you, O God.  Yes, may all the nations praise you.   Vs 7 Yes, God will bless us, and people all over the world will fear him. NLT 


O.  In the New Living Translation the word “Selah” is translated “Interlude.”  I like that, since it is something we can understand.  It may have been a signal to the musicians of David’s day to play a verse and chorus while the congregation remains in silence... meditating on the lyrics.  Or maybe it is just saying to the singers... “Think of that!”  Take a break, pause and reflect on what you are singing. 


A.  I have noticed recently I have a song playing in my head almost constantly.  Many times I am not thinking about it at all... it is just playing like an MP3 inside my head.  Several times when driving my car recently the song was so notable inside my head that I actual was in doubt if maybe the radio was on with low volume... and I checked it to see.  But no it was in my head.  Almost always these are worship choruses or ancient hymns.  Think of that!  My heart was unconsciously singing to the Lord!  Wow!  That is good... um ...I think.  Many of our new songs are enhanced with beautiful music and charged with powerful lyrics of worship.  I fall in love with some of them.  But I find that I can be distracted by other things even when I am singing worship songs to the Lord in church.  So, once in a while, God has to give instructions to His angelic choir leader to hit the “interlude”... button... saying to me, “Think of that!”   


P.  Lord, thank You for the “selahs” in my life.  They call my attention to the marvelous messages in our hymns and choruses... words that I begin to take as something common.  I am a creature of habit.  I am prone to let my mind wander even when I have set aside a time for worship.  Thank You for this wonderful prophetic missionary psalm where David looks far ahead to the great Commission of Jesus Christ to spread His message to all the nations.  And people all over the world will join in Your worship!  Selah!  Interlude!  Think of that!  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment