Thursday, August 13, 2015

General Risner’s Secret Weapon

Thursday 8-13-15 (Home in Modesto)

Scripture reading:  Jer. 13 – 15    John 15

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Jer 15:16-17  Your words are what sustain me. They bring me great joy and are my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty. NLT


O.  Among other tortures, Jeremiah suffered imprisonment lowered into a deep well and his body sank down into the mud.  He did not preach prosperity like the false prophets of his day.  He spoke of coming disaster due to the people’s overt sin and idolatry.  The rulers of Jerusalem felt his message of impending destruction was an act of treason, spreading propaganda of their enemies.  But in his worse moments God’s Word brought him great joy.


A.  I am reminded of Brigadier General Robinson “Robbie” Risner who in 1965 was shot down over North Vietnam and held prisoner, tortured and cruelly mistreated for seven years.  I recall him saying that he reconstructed the hymns that he had sung as a youth in church and recalled memory Bible verses that he had learned in Sunday School and it was this that kept him mentally sane in isolation and under such pressure. 


Although I have never had to endure such suffering, I remember on occasions when I have been isolated in a lonely place, I have been surprised to recall whole stanzas of hymns, choruses and Bible verses that were stored away in my mind as a little child.  And there in the lonely darkness of that moment God’s Holy Word, coupled with wonderful worship songs, have brought me great joy and have become my heart’s delight… just like my friend and mentor, Jeremiah.


P.  Lord, “Thy Word have I hidden in my heart…” not only “that I may not sin against You”… but also as a storehouse of “great joy and heart’s delight” when difficult times press me to the edge.  So I pray… Please keep me daily in Your Word and fill my heart with Your songs… for these are my Source of truth and abundant life.  Amen.


Ralph





No comments:

Post a Comment