Monday, August 17, 2015

Who is on trial here?

Monday 8-17-15 (Home in Modesto)

Scripture reading:  Jer. 23, 25    John 19

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  John 19:7-11  The Jewish leaders replied, "By our laws he ought to die because he called himself the Son of God." When Pilate heard this, he was more frightened than ever. He took Jesus back into the headquarters again and asked him, "Where are you from?" But Jesus gave no answer.  "You won't talk to me?" Pilate demanded. "Don't you realize that I have the power to release you or to crucify you?" Then Jesus said, "You would have no power over me at all unless it were given to you from above. So the one who brought me to you has the greater sin."  NLT


O.  Who is really on trial here?  Centuries earlier another ruler had trembled before the Son of God.  Nebuchadnezzar trembled as he looked into the fiery furnace and saw a fourth man Who looked like “the Son of God”, walking with the 3 men that he had cast in.  Now Pilate, the governor, who thinks he is in charge… finds himself trembling before the Son of God.  The fact is… it is he who is really on trial and the real Judge is the Man dressed in a blood-stained royal robe standing before him with the crown of thorns and blood running down his face.   He is questioned, but does not answer.  “Hey, man!  Don’t you know that I have the power to have you crucified?”  “Mr. Pilate, You think you have power, but you have no power at all that has not been assigned to you from above.”  Pilate wants out of this.  He knows he is in big trouble, but he has no idea how gigantic his trouble is.  For he may pass eternity trying to wash blood off his hands.


A.  What will I do with the Man wearing the crown of thorns?  I too, along with all humanity am called upon to make judgment.  “Is it all a trumped up fable?  Or is it one of the most reliable truths of history?  And if so, why can’t I just pass it by?  Why am I required to make judgment?” It is because He took the lashes for me.  He took the crown of thorns for me.  He took the nails, the mocking crowd for me.  He took the shame for me.  He took the weight of my sin, carried it to my hell and left it there.  I can either take Him as my King or wash my bloody hands forever.  It is my choice.


P.  Jesus, I cannot brush off this decision.  I cannot turn and walk away.  I find myself trembling along with kings and governors and crashing in heap at the foot of Your cross.  My ego is crushed.  My sin is revealed.  I confess it all.  And behold!  Your forgiveness washes over me.  And when I stand again, I know that I have met with God.  I can walk away with a clean conscience and stand tall as I face today’s challenges... all because of You!  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment