Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Diotrephes and Me

Wednesday 8-26-15 (Home in Modesto)

Scripture reading:  Jer. 50 – 51       3 John

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  3 John 9-10  Diotrephes, who loves to be the leader, does not acknowledge our authority.  When I come, I will report some of the things he is doing and the wicked things he is saying about us. He not only refuses to welcome the traveling teachers, he also tells others not to help them. And when they do help, he puts them out of the church.

Vs 12  But everyone speaks highly of Demetrius, even truth itself. We ourselves can say the same for him, and you know we speak the truth.  NLT


O.  The elderly Apostle John pens a personal letter to his friend and convert, Gaius, who is doubtless a member of one of the churches under John’s covering.  He exposes Diotrephes as a power-seeking individual, who domineers the congregation, prohibiting hospitality to the teachers sent by John.  Then he highly recommends Demetrius, probably a member of the same church body. 


So now we know that the early church had its problematic individuals, too.  I think I have met Diotrephes.  I was visiting a small railroad town in Argentina.  I don’t remember his name, but apparently he held a position of authority in the railroad... and now he obviously wanted to override the authority of his pastor in the church.  On the other hand his pastor was a quiet little man who seemed to allow this fellow to run over him like a steam roller.  Let’s call him Demetrius.   


A.  So how do I handle authority?  Do I allow it to go to my head?  Do I get a “charge” out of ordering others around?  Am I blunt?  Do I take into consideration the needs and desires of others?  Do I flaunt my authority when given a chance?  On a scale of ten, how do I... ?   Stop!  Stop!  Let’s go no further!  Why complete this self examination?  Instead I’ll have a little talk with Jesus.


P.  Lord Jesus, I’m a pretty nice guy, aren’t I?  What’s that You say?  That when I get in a hurry sometimes I get too blunt and can hurt the feelings of those around me?  Yes, but... I mean most of the time I’m a pretty nice guy, no?  Oh... most of the time is not enough?  I need to whip that thing?  Well, You know, Lord, I am pretty old to change my ways.  Oh!  No excuses, huh!  With Your help I’ll try to do better.  Teach me to let Your calm, humble Spirit dominate me even when I get in a hurry.  Amen.


Ralph

PS.  Now I feel better.  Confession is good for the soul J.



No comments:

Post a Comment