Friday, August 28, 2015

Antipas did. Would I?

Friday 8-28-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:  Eze. 1-3    Rev 2

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Rev 2:13-14  "I know that you live in the city where that great throne of Satan is located, and yet you have remained loyal to me. And you refused to deny me even when Antipas, my faithful witness, was martyred among you by Satan's followers.”  NLT

O.  Antipas is mentioned only this once in Scripture.  He is called a faithful witness, loyal to Christ even when among Satan’s followers and even though it cost him his life.

A.  Pergamum was apparently a city dominated by evil influences.  It is called the location of Satan’s throne.  Opposition to the Gospel of Jesus Christ was strong.  Is our USA becoming a Pergamum?  I am reminded of the many martyrs for Christ, including children, who within these past months have fallen prey to the ISIS, so called “Islamic State”.  I cannot help but attempt to place myself in their situation.  What would my reaction be?  Would I buckle under torture?  Would I allow them to behead my children or grand children before my eyes... knowing I could simply deny my Christ and save their lives? 

I am reminded of the words penned by the Apostle Paul, written in a Roman prison as he awaited his execution: Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day. 2 Tim 1:12  NIV
Can I say these same words from my heart in the face of martyrdom? 

P.  Lord Jesus, only You know the answer to that question.  Your Apostle Paul never forgot his first powerful encounter with You.  I cannot, I must not, I dare not... rely only upon my experience of yesterday, so I come running to You again today and I know that You will meet me half way.  Oh the wonder of it all!  I fall into Your arms of love!  I bathe in Your glory!  I worship at Your feet!  Your presence envelopes me!  True, I hope never to be surrounded and threatened by the powers of Satan, like Antipas.  But I pray for a fresh meeting with You every day of my life so that in any circumstance where my path may lead me, I may be found loyal to You, my Savior and my Lord!  Amen.


Ralph