Tuesday, August 25, 2015

40 acres and a mule

Monday 8-24-15 (Home in Modesto)

Scripture reading:  Jer. 33 – 34     Psalm 74    1 John 5

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Jer 33:12-13  This is what the LORD Almighty says: This land — though it is now desolate and the people and animals have all disappeared — will once more see shepherds leading sheep and lambs.  NLT


O.  The Judean hills surrounding Jerusalem had become desolate.  The Babylonian army had come in like a pestilence and had destroyed everything in sight, just as Jeremiah had prophesied.  But mixed in with the foretelling of destruction, the prophet tosses in encouraging words to let the people know that God’s blessing will return in the future.  There is hope.  Prosperity will return.  “A shepherd leading his flock” was a symbol of prosperity.


My grandparents were alive in 1863 when thousands of African American slaves were, in theory, set free, but they had nowhere to go and nothing to sustain them.  In some areas the government attempted to give each family a small acreage and an animal.  Hope was expressed with this phrase, “40 acres and a mule.”


A.  Today, what would I do with “40 acres and a mule” or “a flock of sheep” for that matter?  I try to picture myself leading a flock of sheep and lambs out there on some hills.  True, it conjures up a picture that represents peace, but for me... in the culture where I live, it does not represent prosperity.  In my culture wealth and prosperity might be better described by a nice home, a secure professional position and the latest model car.  Today we are unconsciously dependent upon a constant stream... an abundant supply of food, electricity, water, and gasoline.  If any of these supplies were to be cut-off we would soon we back to square one.  “Selah”... Think of that!


P.  Lord, I think I need to count my blessings. In fact I’m sure I could not count them all.  I have lived my whole life under the shelter of Your care.  You blessed my parents and theirs... for my ancestors on both sides honored You by keeping honesty, kindness and godliness as their goals.  You blessed my grandfather Hiatt and his wife, Grandma Malinda, with the prosperity of a home-stead and 14 kids living on a few acres with some farm animals.  Then he used his horse to travel from farm to farm sharing Your message.  What a heritage You have given me and my sons!  May we never forget it!  And may we not waste it!  Amen.


Ralph 


No comments:

Post a Comment