Wednesday, July 1, 2015

You have ruined my beautiful vineyard

Wednesday 7-1-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:  Isaiah 1-3      Titus 3


S.  Isa 1:9  If the LORD Almighty had not spared a few of us, we would have been wiped out as completely as Sodom and Gomorrah. Listen to the LORD, you leaders of Israel! Listen to the law of our God, people of Israel. You act just like the rulers and people of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Isa 3:9  They sin openly like the people of Sodom. They are not one bit ashamed. How terrible it will be for them! They have brought about their own destruction.

Isa 3:13-14 The LORD takes his place in court. He is the great prosecuting attorney, presenting his case against his people!  The leaders and the princes will be the first to feel the LORD's judgment. "You have ruined Israel, which is my vineyard. NLT


O.  What does God see as He looks down at his beloved land of Judah with its capital city of Jerusalem?  He sees sins of all kinds, but the only three cities that are mentioned in these chapters are Jerusalem, Sodom and Gomorrah.  And all of us know why Sodom and Gomorrah were suddenly destroyed by God.  They were flaunting their indecent, perverted life style.  We have received the decision of our country’s Supreme Court.  Now God sets up HIS courtroom.  He says to the leaders, “You have ruined my beautiful vineyard.”  You have brought upon yourselves your own destruction.  


A.  I did not choose these chapters today.  They were pre-assigned by the chart I follow.  But they seemed so timely, I could not ignore them.  I cannot help but see the comparison of Jerusalem with our Washington DC.  I cannot help but compare our land that, in spite of its faults, for two centuries attempted to stand firmly based upon biblical principles.  And now in my lifetime… all that is trashed by our Supreme Court’s judges, and left like a ruined vineyard in our God’s eyes and mine.  I confess... the final words of judgment in Isaiah chapter three left me bathed in tears for God’s description of pending destruction. 


P.  God of heaven above, I pray for mercy, not justice.  I pray for grace, not judgment.  I pray that my children and grandchildren may never have to see what Your message through Isaiah describes as Your judgment on these sins.  I admit to You, my God, I can see no path of return to righteous judges who will base their decisions upon Your eternal laws.  Without a miracle from Your heaven, we are certainly doomed to decline and destruction.  Oh God of our Fathers, hear my cry, see my tears, save Your vineyard, Your precious garden!  Three centuries ago my ancestors fled tyranny for religious freedom.  Now we have no place on earth left to flee.  So Father, I run into Your open arms.  Save us from ourselves!  And help me to respond with love and compassion for those who are trapped in the slavery of these and other sinful practices.  You broke my chains, You can break theirs.  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment