Monday, June 29, 2015

Stationed on an Island for a Purpose

Monday 6-29-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:  Amos 4-6    Ps 88-89     Titus 1


S.  Titus 1:5  I left you on the island of Crete so you could complete our work there…

2:2-3  Teach the older men to exercise self-control, to be worthy of respect, and to live wisely. They must have strong faith and be filled with love and patience.  Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that is appropriate for someone serving the Lord.

Vs 6-7  In the same way, encourage the young men to live wisely in all they do. And you yourself must be an example to them by doing good deeds of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching. NLT


O.  Titus, my boy, I left you over there on the island of Crete for a purpose.  You’ve got a job to do.  You may well be the only seasoned Christian voice on that island.  Teach the elderly how to live the Christian life… and the young families as well… and watch your own life, because your attitudes and actions must reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching for it to be effective.


A.  My best sermons can be reduced to only feeble fairy tales when my life does not illustrate what I am saying.  A single failure of a minister or a Christian teacher can destroy and annul years of careful instruction.  Yes, I can hide behind the saying, “None of us are perfect,” but that does not save my lost sons and daughters from seeing my failures and falling away from their faith in Jesus Christ.  God is pushing me on toward perfection.  I must not relax my guard and allow the evil one to destroy my years… my labors of love.


P. I appeal to You, my Heavenly Father, to protect my heart as I run the final laps of this race.  I am surrounded by a fallen world.  You have not called me to hide away in a monastery trying to be holy.  I have been called to talk the talk of Jesus and walk the walk of Jesus as I mingle among men and women, youth and children that have, by no fault of their own, been raised in evil surroundings without a compass to guide them toward You.  Make me conscious of my responsibility to You and to them.  You have stationed me on this “island”, my sphere of influence, for that purpose.  Amen.


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment