Saturday, June 27, 2015

Devour it. Live by it.

Saturday 6-27-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:  2 Kings 14-15   2 Chron 25    2 Tim 3


S.  2 Tim 3:15-16  You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus.  All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right.  NLT


O.  Timothy’s father was a Greek and very likely an unbeliever, but his mother Eunice and his grandmother Lois were devout Jewish women.  They had raised Timothy together nurturing him in the Holy Scriptures.  Although many young men follow the lead of their fathers, these two women made an effort to raise this boy to serve the Lord God.  Later, when the Apostle showed up in Lystra with the message of Jesus Christ, this family, by their knowledge of the Old Testament scriptures, recognized the truth of their Savior, Jesus the long awaited Messiah.


A.  When at 18 years of age I began my studies, first at Western Conservative Baptist Theological Seminary, and then after 2 ½ years transferred to Southern California Bible College (now Vanguard University), I was surprised by the fact that many of my fellow students knew little about the Bible.  Some of these students had been saved and called into ministry while serving in the military and had little or no training in the Scriptures.  In sharp contrast my parents taught me to memorize scripture before I could read.  Every day we sat at my mother’s or father’s feet and heard scripture (King James Version) read and explained to us.  Often mother added a chapter from a famous book like the “Pilgrim’s Progress” or “Uncle Tom’s Cabin”.  And then we all knelt and each had to lead in prayer.  I had the advantage over other ministerial students, since I already knew the Bible from cover to cover.


The Apostle Paul is reminding Timothy of the importance of Holy Scriptures.  The carefully recorded biblical stories of men and women allow these ancient actors to become our mentors… either by showing us their good example or their errors and tragedies.  “Timothy, my boy, read the Book, devour it, memorize it and learn from it.”


P.  Heavenly Father I thank You this morning for the Book.  It has been a lamp to my feet and a light to my pathway.  It has led me safely through dark, treacherous situations.  It has taken me to fall in total surrender at the feet of Your Son, Jesus.  It has taught me the story of Your Divine Love.  It has offered me grace and mercy instead of the judgment I deserve.  It has given me the assurance of heaven.  And I thank You for a father and mother and grandparents on both sides that loved You and honored Your Word.  What a heritage!  Yes, I know that the final choices are up to each of us, but You gave me a hefty boost in the right direction.  I can only express my gratitude with a life dedicated to serve You.  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment