Friday, June 19, 2015

I’ll take two slices, please.

Friday 6-19-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:  2 Kings 1-3     Psalm 82    1 Tim 1


S.  2 Kings 2:9  When they came to the other side, Elijah said to Elisha, "What can I do for you before I am taken away?" And Elisha replied, "Please let me become your rightful successor." NLT

Same verse in NKJV 2 Kings 2:9  And so it was, when they had crossed over, that Elijah said to Elisha, "Ask! What may I do for you, before I am taken away from you?"  Elisha said, "Please let a double portion of your spirit be upon me."


O.  The moment is about to come when the old prophet, Elijah will be captured by a better world.  The younger Elisha refuses to leave his side even when asked three times to stay behind.  He desperately wants something that Elijah has.  So Elijah finally asks him, “What can I do for you, boy, before I have to go?”  Elisha goes for the gold, “Give me a double portion of the spirit that makes you like you are.”  “That’s a tough one, boy… but okay.  If you see me go, you’ve got it.” 


And suddenly in a display of fireworks mixed with a tornado, a heavenly space craft snatches Reverend Elijah up and away.  When the dust clears Elisha sees Elijah’s cape lying there in the dirt.  He takes off his own mantle and tears it up.  “I won’t need this rag anymore.” he mumbles… and he grabs Elijah’s mantle, shakes off the dust and heads back to the Jordan River to try it out.


A.  I cannot imagine why the translators of some versions feel they have to “explain” everything.  The original Hebrew text says, "Please let a double portion of your spirit be upon me." NKJV and the NLT translators confess that this is really what it says, but they place it only as a footnote. 


I enjoy the candid style of the NLT, but in some cases, in their effort to explain everything, their translators greatly weaken the text… and this is one… by translating Elisha’s request: "Please let me become your rightful successor." Why not translate it like it is?  The meaning is clear enough for a child to understand and carries with it a much stronger message! 


Elisha was seeking whatever Elijah had.  He wanted to be just like him, but he wasn’t satisfied for just one portion… He wanted a double portion of the same.  Have you ever been too bashful or too polite to ask for a second slice of that wonderful apple pie?


P.  Dear Lord, You have allowed me the privilege of sitting under the ministry of several of Your great men of God.  I have benefited and been blessed by their teaching and preaching.  I have witnessed the miraculous results of their faith.  I have read some of their writings.  They have inspired me to new heights.  And I cry out to You: “Whatever made these men so much like You in their ministry… that is what I want.  I want that same Holy Spirit to descend upon me.  And while You are at it, Dear Lord Jesus, please dish me out a double portion if You think I can handle it.  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment