Friday, June 5, 2015

Meet my friend, Agur

Friday 6-5-15 (Martinez, Argentina)
Scripture reading:  Prov 30-31    Psalm 33    Eph 1


S.  Prov 30:1-4  The message of Agur son of Jakeh.  An oracle.  I am weary, O God; I am weary and worn out, O God.  I am too ignorant to be human, and I lack common sense.  I have not mastered human wisdom, nor do I know the Holy One. Who but God goes up to heaven and comes back down? Who holds the wind in his fists? Who wraps up the oceans in his cloak? Who has created the whole wide world? What is his name — and his son's name? Tell me if you know!  NLT


O.  For a gentleman named Agur, Jake’s son, the best way to introduce his “oracle” of great wisdom is to admit his ignorance. 


A.  I like this guy, Agur.  As the country boy says, “He has “thunk himself tired.”  He has worn himself out trying to philosophize and has rightfully recognized that “He just ain’t got it together yet.” 


Maybe we are too smart.  We have it all figured out and in a neat package.   We can write it out in 16 doctrines.  We can put a period at the end of our declarations… maybe even an exclamation point.  He ends up with question marks. 


P.  Father God, I thank You that You have revealed Yourself through Your Holy Word.  Today we have many certainties described in Your book that Brother Agur, son of Jake, had no access to.  I can know Your name and Your Son’s name!  Hallelujah!  I can be absolutely sure of some things.  I am so glad that one of them is our gift of eternal salvation through Your Son Jesus Christ.  


Yet I sense that my wisdom, at its best, is quite like an ant trying to invent an atomic power plant.  Your wisdom is supremely higher than mine.  Maybe in heaven someday I will find answers to my questions.  I can wait and trust, because You have allowed me to know You as my Friend; the faithful, all wise, Creator God!  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment