Thursday, June 18, 2015

He made peace with the devil

Thursday 6-18-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:  1 Kings 22     2 Chron 18-19    Col 4


S.  1 Kings 22:4-5  Then he turned to Jehoshaphat and asked, "Will you join me in fighting against Ramoth-gilead?" And Jehoshaphat replied to King Ahab, "Why, of course! You and I are brothers, and my troops are yours to command. Even my horses are at your service." Then Jehoshaphat added, "But first let's find out what the LORD says."


Vs 29-30  So the king of Israel and King Jehoshaphat of Judah led their armies against Ramoth-gilead. Now King Ahab said to Jehoshaphat, "As we go into battle, I will disguise myself so no one will recognize me, but you wear your royal robes." So Ahab disguised himself, and they went into battle.


Vs 44 (Summary note) Jehoshaphat… made peace with the king of Israel. NLT


O.  Jehoshaphat, son of Asa, King of Judah, served the true God.  He was a “good boy”.  He even made peace with Ahab, king of Israel.  That sounds great… except for one thing.  Ahab, king of Israel was a devil. 


Kings are a lonely bunch.  They have few peers to chum with.  So “Good-Boy- Jehoshaphat”, jumps in his Cadillac and drives over to Samaria to visit with the devil, King Ahab.  They dressed in their royal robes and had a “champagne pity-party.”  They chatted about golf and other “king-stuff.”  It’s one thing to make peace.  It’s another is to become buddies.  Soon, in a weak moment, Jehoshaphat was agreeing to fight with Ahab in battle… and he did so even when God’s one true prophet warned of certain disaster.  


A.  Good boys are sometimes stupid.  Jehoshaphat played with fire and survived, but he had to run for his life.  He should have seen through Ahab’s evil plan… when he insisted that his “good-buddy-Jehoshaphat” should wear his royal robes into battle (obviously to become the major target of the enemy forces) while he, Ahab, disguised himself.  Oh!  Devil, you are so clever!


P.  Lord, when I’m feeling lonely don’t let me go visit the devil for a pity-party.  Put a blockade in my pathway.  Help me learn from my mentor, “Good-Boy-Jehoshaphat” that it is dangerous to become buddies with the devil and his companions.  Lord, sometimes, like kings, we preachers can be a lonely bunch.  And it’s true what they say: When ministers are “alone and down” that’s when they are tempted to open bad stuff in the internet.  God, please rescue me and all my fellow ministers from crossing the border for a friendly visit with the devil.  For even if we survive, we will find ourselves like “Good-Boy-Jehoshaphat” running for our lives… and destroying the precious ministry that You have invested in us.  Amen. 



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment