Monday, June 15, 2015

Danger! An assassin is stalking me!

Monday 6-15-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:  1 Kings 16    2 Chron 15-16     Col 1


S.  1 Kings 16:11, 15  Zimri immediately killed the entire royal family of Baasha, and he did not leave a single male child.

Vs 15 Zimri began to rule over Israel from Tirzah in the twenty-seventh year of King Asa's reign in Judah, but he reigned only seven days. NLT


O.  The Israelites were now split into two nations, “Judah” and “Israel”, due to the foolish threats of new young King Rehoboam and the rebellious secession led by self- elected King Jeroboam.  Judah and Israel were now “family-enemies.”  In Judah, finally a godly king named Asa began his reign. 


But there was absolute havoc among Israel’s ten tribes. Under Jeroboam they totally abandoned God and chose to worship a golden calf.  A guy name Nadab assassinated all Jeroboam’s family… then in 2 years Baasha wiped out King Nabad and famly.  In four years Elah assassinated King Baasha and family.  In two years Zimri murdered King Elah and annihilated his entire family.  King Zimri only lasted as king 7 days for when he saw the army coming led by General Omri he ran into the royal citadel and set it on fire… dying in the flames.  Suicide. 


Each king is recorded as being more evil than the previous one and ends up dead.  Kind of sounds like today’s dirty politics to me.  Kill ‘em, ruin their reputation, put ‘em out of circulation.  Back then, anybody that thought he should be king just assassinated the present king and usurped the throne.  What a mess!


A.  I’ve decided, after reading this, I don’t want to be a king after all.  Many of the psalms reveal that even King David lived in fear of assassination much of the time.  I would rather be on one of the lower rungs of the ladder and be able to sleep in peace.  


Leadership has its dangers.  Since I have been chosen by God to serve as one of many leaders, I must be on the lookout… for there is an enemy out there, “a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.” 1 Peter 5:8 NKJV 


In any position of Christian leadership I become a target for spiritual assassination.  My enemy is not embodied in flesh and blood… he is a spirit and attacks my thoughts and emotions.  If I yield an inch, he will usurp a mile.  This nasty assassin wants my position of leadership!  I am trying to lead many into the gates of pearl… and he would do anything to put me out… destroy my testimony… and capture my followers… to lead them to damnation.


P.  Lord, I am counting on You to keep me true and faithful to my dying day.  Too much is at stake.  Too many are following.  I must not surrender to an evil thought or intention.  Fill me to the brim with Your thoughts, Your intentions, Your plans and Your hopes for me.  Leave no room for the assassin of souls to sneak in unnoticed.  I am Yours and Yours alone.  Let’s keep it that way!  Amen.


Ralph
I’d Rather Have Jesus
(Poem by Rhea F. Miller with the tune written by George Beverly Shea.)


I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands, 
I’d rather be led by His nail pierced hand.

Than to be a king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin’s dread sway,
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.


I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than world-wide fame,
I’d rather be true to His holy name.

He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out of the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs,
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment