Sunday, June 28, 2015

Broken and Poured Out

Sunday 6-28-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:  Amos 1-3    Ps 80    2 Tim 4


S. 2 Tim 4:6  As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near.  NLT


O.  Saul, who became Paul the Apostle, had been a life “broken and poured out”.  Like the broken seal on the bottle of expensive perfume poured out on the feet of Jesus by a sinner woman, he had been broken on the Damascus Road and spent the rest of his life being poured out for Jesus.  Now only a few drops are left. 


He has poured out his life in unceasing travel to reach the lost.  He has poured it out in his tireless preaching of the “message of Christ” to both Jews and Gentiles.  He had poured it out in his letters… writings that would outlast his verbal communication.  Soon Paul will lay his head down on the chopping block for his execution. 


A.  Yet now with his final fragrant drops, he pours out these words to leave encouragement and healthy instruction for his spiritual son, Timothy… and for me.  He warns me about dangers from the outside, like Alexander the coppersmith.  He warns me about dangers from within the Church, people who will walk away seeking a more comfortable message.  He warns me about dangers within me.  I must follow his lead and the Lord’s… remaining faithful to the end.


P.  Lord Jesus, I see it now!  Each of us who serve You, have been broken somewhere along our way… perhaps several times.  Now I am being poured out, like perfume… either upon Your feet to reach the lost and needy… or wasted to enhance my own desires for pleasure, fortune or fame.  Precious Savior, may these last drops… my final days, months or years… become perfume on Your feet.  And may every Timothy left behind me be encouraged to pour out his or her life… fulfilling purposes pleasing to You… perfume on Your nail-scarred feet.  Amen.


Ralph 


No comments:

Post a Comment