Saturday, June 13, 2015

He went beyond…

Friday 6-12-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:  1 Kings 12    2 Chron 10-11     Phil 2


S. Phil 2:25-27  Meanwhile, I thought I should send Epaphroditus back to you. He is a true brother, a faithful worker, and a courageous soldier. And he was your messenger to help me in my need. Now I am sending him home again, for he has been longing to see you, and he was very distressed that you heard he was ill. And he surely was ill; in fact, he almost died. But God had mercy on him — and also on me, so that I would not have such unbearable sorrow. NLT


O.  Epaphroditus, a member of the church in Phillipi was sent to Rome to bless the prisoner, Apostle Paul, with a care package.  There he stayed for some time serving Paul’s needs.  There he also became serious ill to the point of death, then recovered and will now be the carrier of this letter back to the Phillipian Church. 


His name hints at his pagan background.  His name means “belonging to Aphrodite,” a famous goddess.  It would be similar to many Roman Catholic boys being named “Jose María” or “Christian.”  From birth this boy was dedicated to a heathen god.  But now he has been converted to Christ and is a trusted member of the Phillipian church.  To his home church he was only a messenger, but to Paul he became much more; a true brother, faithful worker and courageous soldier.  When he was so ill that he was thought to be dying, he was more concerned about his home church worrying about him, than about his own health.     


A.  Here is a man who went beyond the expectations of his peers.  He pushed far past his required responsibilities and pressed his whole heart into his task so fervently that he came to the very brink of death itself.  I want to learn from Brother Epaphroditus.  I want to go the extra mile.  If I am going to serve God… I want to give Him my all.    


P.  Lord Jesus, You are my witness.  How many times have You seen me on my face before you as a teenager, a young father, a local pastor and then a missionary… crying out to You, attempting total surrender to Your plans and purposes?  And today, although the world tells me to slow down, take it easy, hang it up and retire… I leave these tears before You and recommit it all to You.  Let me go another mile.  Let me push on beyond assigned responsibilities to the glorious privilege of just being Your servant.  Like Epaphroditus, please allow me to bless some hard-pressed servant of Yours and be to him or her a true brother.  Lord, You spared his life to let it happen.  Thank you for another day with breath and strength beyond my years.  Again today… I fall at Your feet for I am Yours and Yours alone!   Amen.


Ralph




No comments:

Post a Comment