Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Danger! Your getting rich!

My personal daily devotional.  I have been prompted to share them.

SOAP S=Scripture, O=Observation, A= Application and P=Prayer 

Wednesday 6-24-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:  2 Kings 11-12     2 Chron 24    1 Tim 6


S.  1 Tim 6:10-12  For the love of money is at the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows. But you, Timothy, belong to God; so run from all these evil things, and follow what is right and good. Pursue a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness. NLT


O.  The Apostle Paul is careful to leave detailed instructions with his “son” in the faith and he deals with one of the subtle dangers “riches.”  He is posting a road-sign in Timothy’s highway, “Danger, sharp curve ahead… you might get rich!  And your riches might get you!


A.  I need to apply the inspired words written to Timothy to my own life.  I need to know that the love of money can sneak up on me.  As Christians the Lord prospers us with His blessings, both spiritual and material, but if I am not careful I may find myself living a life style that requires a hearty monthly income.  I start thinking I “need” things that I would not have considered as necessary before I became “rich”.  Danger!  My material blessings are beginnng to possess me… instead of me possessing them.  The result has left some Christians deeply in debt, working overtime, no longer with time for the church and finally, pierced with many sorrows, they tragically wander away from the faith.


P.  Lord, the danger of riches is so subtle.  I can be blind-sided so easily by its attractions.  You have bountifully supplied my every need.  Don’t allow me to become distracted by Your material blessings, but understand that You are placing these blessings in my hands to pass them on to others.  I must become an open channel of blessing to the needy.  I must learn the meaning of Your words, “It is more blessed… (meaning it brings more happiness inside my soul)… to give it away to others than to receive gifts from others.” Yes, these words of Yours are so true!  When I cheerfully give… there is joy unspeakable and full of glory!  Amen.



Ralph     

No comments:

Post a Comment