Monday, June 8, 2015

Today’s list of rules: No.1 No more rules.

Monday 6-8-15 (Martinez, Argentina)
Scripture reading:  Eccl 7-9     Eph 4


S.  Eph 4:30  And do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he is the one who has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption. NLT


O.  The Apostle Paul is dealing with Gentile sinners, who had not been brought up under the strict rules of the Jewish families.  He says, “If you are a thief, stop stealing.  If you are a liar, stop lying.”  This was basic stuff to Jews… Not that they all lived by the rules, but they all knew them.  So Paul names a list of sins to avoid and then… in case he missed my favorite sin… he adds, “Don’t do anything that might make the heart of God sad.” 


A.  They tell me it was a long time ago when I was a teenage kid, but it seems like only yester-year.  Those were the days that some of us were asking just how far can we Christians go… approaching the “sin-level”… without “really sinning”.  Issues back then included Hollywood movies, dance halls, billiards… and even hang-outs in bowling alley.  And for the girls… “Jezebel make-up”, miniskirts and etcetera… especially lots of etcetera… depending on the local church.


Of course today anything goes.  The black “sins” faded into grey.  And “Who doesn’t do grey?”  So now, since it is against the rules to have rules… where do I go for guidance?  I suggest we try this one on for size: “Do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live…” Eph 4:30


Do I live to please God?  Or am I asking Him to look the other way?


P.  Okay, God, I think I hear You.  You seem to be asking me, “How much do I love You?”  If I truly love You, You won’t have to make a new list of rules for me to follow.  My deep love for You will make me want to please you in all that I do.  Sometimes I have failed the test.  I ask for Your forgiveness.  And may I strive for the goal when my attitudes and actions never again bring sadness to Your tender heart.  Amen



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment