Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Focus

Wednesday 6-17-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading for today:  1 Kings 20-21     2 Chron 17    Col 3


S.  Col 3:1-2  Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits at God's right hand in the place of honor and power.  Let heaven fill your thoughts. NLT


O.  The Holy Spirit through the Apostle Paul is teaching a very important concept related to the Christian life... “focus”.


A.  Many years ago, when in Panama, I found a powerful pair of binoculars and purchased them.  I just now pulled them out of their old case and focused them on the beautiful cala lilies and cana lilies in full bloom in my back yard only 25 feet away, I can watch the honey bees going in an out in all their detail, but the distant objects are out of focus.  Then when I focus on the details of the birds in the foliage two blocks away, the lilies are now out of focus. 


100 years ago, we could bury ourselves in books.  The novel could carry us into a fantasy world.  Today internet, TV and movies are specifically designed to take total control of our minds and in the case of movies often for two hours at a time. 


Yes, life tends to become mostly absorbed by things that are close at hand.  Our focus is on immediate needs.  To escape this monotony we often turn to the entertainment offered by our world.  The Holy Spirit is calling me to adjust my focus… to look on things above… to “set my sights on the realities of heaven.”  My focus will determine my “joy level.”


P.  Lord, I have to thank you for excellent eyesight even at my age.  But I need Your help to focus on the things of eternal importance.  Help me to turn my eyes upon You, Your Kingdom and my future home.  Help me to focus my eyes, my thoughts and my resulting actions on pleasing You.  Amen.


Ralph
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
Helen H. Lemmel, 1922

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

1.    O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!
o    Refrain:
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.
2.    Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion—
For more than conqu’rors we are!
3.    His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
Believe Him, and all will be well:
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!



No comments:

Post a Comment