Thursday, June 25, 2015

Meet “Onnie”

Thursday 6-25-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:  Joel 1-3    2 Tim 1


S.  2 Tim 1:16-18  May the Lord show special kindness to Onesiphorus and all his family because he often visited and encouraged me. He was never ashamed of me because I was in prison. When he came to Rome, he searched everywhere until he found me. May the Lord show him special kindness on the day of Christ's return. And you know how much he helped me at Ephesus. NLT


O.  This second letter to Timothy is written by the elderly Apostle Paul from a Roman prison as he is awaiting his death sentence.  He shows special appreciation for a brother named Onesiphorus.  I am guessing that this man and his family lived in Ephesus and that Timothy is ministering there at the time of this writing.  Paul remembers this brother’s kindness and great help probably during the time he spent 3 years* teaching the believers there.  He describes Onesiphorus as a great helper, filled with kindness.  He even travelled to Rome to find and encourage Paul.  He was a man persistent in his determination to locate Paul where he was imprisioned and was not ashamed that he was searching for a condemned prisoner.  I like this guy.  Let’s just call him “Onnie.”


A.  There is a spreading custom developing in many of our Argentine churches.  I kindda like it.  Knowing that a visiting speaker will be arriving at a certain hour, the pastor assigns a helper for him.  So here is the scene:  I drive up near the door of the church.  Most of our churches do not have parking lots and every space is occupied by a vehicle for blocks around.  But a helper has set out orange colored cones to save me a place right by the front door.  As soon as he recognizes my car he removes the cones and guides me in.  He welcomes me and immediately informs me that he is my assigned “slave” for the evening.  Anything I need, just speak the word, and he will get it for me.  Normally I have 7 things in my car’s trunk to carry in… Felipe’s case, my amp, lap-steel guitar, accordion, my special mike stand, my brief case and a box of DVDs of Felipe and CDs of music.   He calls in his team and in moments everything is in place.  He informs me that he will have his eye on me during the entire service.  The slightest move of my finger… or even a look at him will bring him running… “Do you prefer water or 7 Up?  Or do you prefer hot tea?”  “Is the location of the monitor okay?”  “What do you need?”  Let’s call him, “Onnie.”  And sometimes until after midnight “Onnie” is still by my side.  He will take pictures, carry my stuff, bring me a glass of cold water, think ahead for my needs and wave to me as I drive off into the darkness.  Paul expresses gratitude for his “Onnie.”  So “Thanks, guys!”


P.  Lord Jesus, Your Apostle Paul describes himself as your “love-slave”… and he teaches me to be the same.  I want to be listening every moment for the slightest suggestion of Your desire.  Help me to not get distracted, but to keep my eyes fixed upon You.  Help me to not be like a mule that needs to be jerked around to do Your bidding. I need to be anxious and alert, ready to respond. I need to be watching for You to guide me with the look in Your eyes.**  Wherever you are looking, let me run in that direction.  Just let me be your “love slave”.  You can call me Your “Onnie”.   Amen.


Ralph
* Acts 20:31

** (Psalm 32:8-9)  

No comments:

Post a Comment