Thursday, June 4, 2015

The First Will be Last


Thursday 6-4-15 (Martinez, Argentina)
Scripture reading:  Prov 28-29    Psalm 60    Rom 16


S.  Rom 16:1-2 Our sister Phoebe, a deacon in the church in Cenchrea, will be coming to see you soon.  Receive her in the Lord, as one who is worthy of high honor. Help her in every way you can, for she has helped many in their needs, including me. NLT


O.  The Apostle Paul is not able to travel to Rome at this time, but is sending a lady named Phoebe to them and highly recommending her ministry as a deaconess.  Then he goes on to greet by name 26 people who are apparently in the Roman church.  Probably he had personally met and served with many of these people in other countries.  Obviously he not only preached at people, he took time with people to know their names and to allow them to serve alongside him.


Paul honored people of both sexes for their faithful service to the Lord and to him.  We are not told what Phoebe’s ministry consisted of.  The original deacons were all men.  They were chosen to administrate the details of the early church in Jerusalem.  However several of them immediately began to preach and see mighty miracles.  One day we will meet Phoebe and we will know.


A.  Do I honor my co-workers as the Apostle Paul did?  Can I list off the names of all the ministers and wives of the over 50 churches in little towns and big cities where I have ministered during the past three months?  Yes, for many of them I can… for they have become a part of my life.  For others I would have to look at my records.  But they all are my heroes.  I come bursting into town to bless them and their church and am gone in a day or a week, but they stay with the ship through storms of persecution, heartbreaks… and marvelous victories. 


P.  Lord Jesus, You know that I am honored far above my worth.  My name, and little Felipe’s name, are remembered… while many, more sacrificing than I, are forgotten.  But Lord Jesus, You have not forgotten their names.  You love them and can name each one; women and men, their children and their grandchildren.  And one these days “the first will be last”.  You will honor these thousands of “Your heroes of the faith” that we have long forgotten.  Amen.



Ralph 

No comments:

Post a Comment