Thursday, July 9, 2015

Safe in the Arms of Jesus

Thursday 7-9-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:    Micah 1-4    Heb 6

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul


S.  Heb 6:18-19  Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can take new courage, for we can hold on to his promise with confidence.  This confidence is like a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. NLT


O.  These words remind me of the cities of refuge that were established by God through Moses.  In each area of the promised land there would be one city designated as a place for a person to flee if he or she accidentally killed someone.  There they could live in safety until it could be determined if it was premeditated murder or an accident. 
The writer to the Hebrews describes the work of Jesus as opening the door for us sinners, a door to a place of safety, a place to flee from God’s wrath.  Our faith, our confidence, is described as a trustworthy anchor for our souls.


A.  Do I still, after all these years of serving the Lord, need a place of refuge?  Oh yes I do!   When I fail my Lord, the Holy Spirit immediately calls my attention to my dark blot.  It might not seem like murder.  It may not seem important to men, but sin is always a dark blot to the soul in the eyes of a perfect God.  I blush and tears flow as I run into the waiting arms of Jesus, my Refuge.  The enemy, the accuser may chase me, but he has to stop at the gate to the city, for I am anchored safely where he cannot reach me… a place where forgiveness is guaranteed and where the price for my sin has been paid in full.


P.  Lord, every one of us needs a city of refuge, because “We all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” (Rom 3:23).  So many people live out their lives under the curse of guilt and shame.  Some feel so hopeless that they seek the escape of death.  Jesus, help me to be a living sign-post pointing “This way to the city of Refuge.”  The door is open.  The lights are on… The arms of Jesus are open and waiting for you.  No need to wait for a better moment.  Today is the day of Salvation.  You have been running too long.  Welcome home!  Amen.


Ralph
1.     Safe in the arms of Jesus,
Safe on His gentle breast;
There by His love o’ershaded,
Sweetly my soul shall rest.
Hark! ’tis the voice of angels
Borne in a song to me,
Over the fields of glory,
Over the jasper sea.
o    Refrain:
Safe in the arms of Jesus,
Safe on His gentle breast;
There by His love o’ershaded,
Sweetly my soul shall rest.
2.     Safe in the arms of Jesus,
Safe from corroding care,
Safe from the world’s temptations;
Sin cannot harm me there.
Free from the blight of sorrow,
Free from my doubts and fears;
Only a few more trials,
Only a few more tears!
3.     Jesus, my heart’s dear Refuge,
Jesus has died for me;
Firm on the Rock of Ages
Ever my trust shall be.
Here let me wait with patience,
Wait till the night is o’er;
Wait till I see the morning
Break on the golden shore.



No comments: