Sunday, July 26, 2015

Feed my sheep

Sunday 7-26-15 (Home Modesto, California)

Scripture reading:  Isaiah 46-49    1 Peter 5

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  1 Peter 5:1-3  As a fellow elder, this is my appeal to you: Care for the flock of God entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly — not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God.  Don't lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your good example. NLT


O.  Peter may have in mind that unforgettable moment when after his failure at Jesus’ trial and after His Savior’s resurrection, he had gone back to fishing.  And the resurrected Christ called him to the shore, fed him breakfast and made sure that he understood his true calling.  “Peter, do you love Me?  Do you really love me?  Then care for my lambs.  Feed my sheep.  I called you years ago from the fishing boat.  I am giving you the ministry of caring for a flock.  You will be responsible for their future safety and growth.  


Now the years have passed and Peter is passing the baton on to younger men.


A.  What an awesome responsibility God has given me!  For He has called me to be a pastor of His precious sheep!  My words and my example will shape their lives and hopefully they will bring glory to God and the expansion of His kingdom.  My failure could likely bring their failure, too.


P.  So, Dear Lord Jesus, send me a double portion of Your Holy Spirit today.  Oh, how I need You.  The task that You have given me is greater than I am.  I’m too small for the job.  Jesus, You said it, and it is true.  I can do nothing without You.  All my efforts would be in vain without You.  May I never offend Your Holy Spirit so that He would distance Himself from me.  Today I need You.  Oh, how I need You!  There are souls in the balance.  Today may make the difference for their eternal destiny.  I hear you, Lord.  You are coaxing me to tenderly care for your lambs and lead them toward maturity with love and by example.  May I not fail You!  Amen.


Ralph






No comments:

Post a Comment