Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Lord, You Promise us Peace

Sunday 7-12-15 (Anaheim, California)
Scripture reading:    Isaiah 11-14    Heb 9

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Isa 11:6-10  In that day the wolf and the lamb will live together; the leopard and the goat will be at peace. Calves and yearlings will be safe among lions, and a little child will lead them all.  The cattle will graze among bears. Cubs and calves will lie down together. And lions will eat grass as the livestock do.  Babies will crawl safely among poisonous snakes. Yes, a little child will put its hand in a nest of deadly snakes and pull it out unharmed.  Nothing will hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain. And as the waters fill the sea, so the earth will be filled with people who know the LORD.   In that day the heir to David's throne will be a banner of salvation to all the world. NLT


O.  The prophet announces a day of real peace for this world.  It didn’t take long after the entrance of sin in the Garden of Eden for the enemy of man’s soul to bring terror of war into the world, starting with Cain, who murdered his brother.  But God promises a day of genuine peace when even the food chain of the animals will be altered.


A.  Above my desk hangs this reproduction of the famous painting representing the great time of peace that Christ will someday bring to this world.  A child is leading a group of animals including a cow, a sheep, a lion, a wolf, a bull and seen behind the group is a bear.  This picture with its unique frame hung in our living room all the years from my infancy to when my mother passed away at 96 years old. 

When mother passed away and we five children were given the choice of taking the piano or a piece of furniture, I only asked for this picture since, as missionaries, we had no place to store anything larger.  So it hangs above my desk today and says to me that my study must be a place of peace… where I can meet with God.  It also speaks to me of a day when Christ will reign.


But for us who walk with Jesus there can be peace even when the winds blow strong around us:


In 1977 we held a one month evangelistic crusade in a city park downtown Buenos Aires, while the Argentine military government was battling the terrorists.  I can honestly say that we never felt in danger during that time although 10 businesses were destroyed by bombs in a single night only blocks from our house.  Seven young ministers came out of that crusade plus about 100 converts added to the La Boca church!


P.  Thank You, Lord.  You said, “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27) NKJV  You know, Jesus, that I do not respond well in an emergency.  I tend to react too rapidly.  I thank You for fellow Christians that have stood with me in difficult moments.  I ask for Your wonderful calm and for clear thinking in every situation.  Amen.


Ralph
Peace, Peace, Wonderful Peace

Far away in the depths of my spirit tonight
Rolls a melody sweeter than psalm;
In celestial strains it unceasingly falls
o’er my soul like an infinite calm.
Refrain
Peace, peace, wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above!
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray
In fathomless billows of love!
What a treasure I have in this wonderful peace,
Buried deep in the heart of my soul,
So secure that no power can mine it away,
While the years of eternity roll!
Refrain
I am resting tonight in this wonderful peace,
Resting sweetly in Jesus’ control;
For I’m kept from all danger by night and by day,
And His glory is flooding my soul!
Refrain
And I think when I rise to that city of peace,
Where the Anchor of peace I shall see,
That one strain of the song which the ransomed will sing
In that heavenly kingdom will be:
Refrain
Ah, soul! are you here without comfort and rest,
Marching down the rough pathway of time?
Make Jesus your Friend ere the shadows grow dark;
O accept of this peace so sublime!
Refrain



No comments:

Post a Comment