Thursday, April 14, 2016

A slave to the bed sheets?

Friday 3-25-16   La Lucila, Buenos Aires.
Scripture reading:  Joshua 21 – 22    Psalm 47    1 Cor 10

S.  Josh 21:43-45 So the LORD gave to Israel all the land of which He had sworn to give to their fathers, and they took possession of it and dwelt in it. The LORD gave them rest all around, according to all that He had sworn to their fathers. And not a man of all their enemies stood against them; the LORD delivered all their enemies into their hand.  Not a word failed of any good thing which the LORD had spoken to the house of Israel. All came to pass. NKJV

O.  The struggle had been long and difficult.  There had been years in the wilderness and years of facing resistance from their enemies, but finally the Israelites each had their own allotted plot of land to till and everything they needed.  Now their children could grow up in an atmosphere of peace.  Not a word failed of any good thing that the Lord had promised them. Peace and rest had finally come to the Israelites. Their fathers and their father’s fathers had all labored as slaves under the heavy hand of Pharoah.  But now they were free.

A.  Free at last!  I am free to labor and enjoy the fruit of my labor.  Free to raise my family in peace overflowing with love.  Freedom does not promise me the privilege of staying in bed all morning.  Freedom allows me to rise and get to work.  I am free to arrive at work right on time, free to fulfill my task with joy and free to enjoy the fruit of my labors.  For some, freedom seems to mean they can sit in their Lazy-Boy chair and watch TV while the government brings them food on a silver platter.  I see that as slavery.  Watch out friend... or you will become a slave to the Lazy-Boy chair or worse... to the bed sheets!

P.  Lord, I am so thankful to You!  You have kept Your word to me.  Not a word of Your promises has failed!  Hallelujah!  This means to me that You have given me hands, arms and legs... and a voice to be active and busy.  It means that You have provided me with an active mind, always dreaming up new ways to accomplish the tasks You have assigned to me.  Your “rest” is filled with exciting, productive activity.  Your “peace” is the privilege of throwing myself into the labors You have called me to do.  Oh!  What joy I find in just walking with You, my Savior and sensing Your blessing on my feeble efforts!  Perhaps one day my body will not respond as well as it does today, but I shall find freedom in my spirit... I will always be free to praise and honor You!  So again I respond with “Hallelujah and Amen”. 
Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment