Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Every hidden sin has a train of consequences.

Sunday 3-20-16   Posada Chamonix, Villa General Belgrano, Cba.
Scripture reading:    Joshua 7 – 8    Psalm 69    1 Cor 5

S.  Josh 7:5  And the men of Ai struck down about thirty-six men, for they chased them from before the gate as far as Shebarim, and struck them down on the descent; therefore the hearts of the people melted and became like water.

Vs 20-21 And Achan answered Joshua and said, "Indeed I have sinned against the LORD God of Israel, and this is what I have done:  When I saw among the spoils a beautiful Babylonian garment, two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold weighing fifty shekels, I coveted them and took them. And there they are, hidden in the earth in the midst of my tent, with the silver under it." NKJV

O.  One man named Achan sinned and 36 of his fellow soldiers were struck down by the enemy. 

A.  Can it be that others will suffer if I yield to temptation like Achan did?  God is teaching me that I cannot operate as an island.  My actions, whether good or evil will affect others.  Achan’s sin was hidden.  He had dug a hole under his tent and carefully buried the gorgeous Babilonian garment, the huge wedge of gold and the stash of silver.  Even my secret sin will someday affect someone.  His whole family that stood to benefit from the riches he had taken... suffered the consequence of his sin... and 36 of his fellow soldiers paid for it with their lives. 
P.  Oh!  My Lord and my God!  Keep me from falling when temptation comes sneaking up on me.  I know it is not “if” it comes.  I know it “will” come.  Let this story make me always aware of the long-term, tragic train of consequences my potential sin would drag behind it... affecting children, youth and adults alike.  God, don’t let me ever become an Achan.  Thank You, Lord.  My strength is in You and in You alone.  Amen.

Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment