Thursday, April 14, 2016

Lest... I myself should be a castaway

Sunday 4-10-16   Puerto Madryn, Argentina
Scripture reading:  1 Sam 8 - 10   2 Cor 10
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  1 Sam 10:21-22 And Saul the son of Kish was chosen. But when they sought him, he could not be found. Therefore they inquired of the LORD further, "Has the man come here yet?" And the LORD answered, "There he is, hidden among the equipment." NKJV

O.  The people have demanded a king.  God helps Samuel to pick out a tall handsome young man named Saul.  He is obedient to his father.  He is humble. He seems to have many good character qualities.  In the next chapter he even proves to be kind to those that have made fun of him.  He made such a good start.  But this story shows me that fame and fortune can quickly corrupt a good man.  It was all downhill from there on.  As his fame grew... his character changed.  And in time this man who had been “chosen of God” became a “castaway”.

A.  Every preacher of the gospel is in danger of this deadly disease.  We want to do our best for our Lord.  We study and pray.  We seek the anointing of the Holy Spirit.  But as our ears hear the repeated applauding of our audience, as we see ourselves announced over an again as someone important, we are treading on slippery soil.  Several prominent TV preachers have collapsed under this pressure?  The same happens to politicians and presidents, good men... until they are highly successful... and danger is at the door.  Very few can handle success and fame.

P.  Lord, I confess that I am not comfortable with applause for singers, musicians and preachers in Your house.  It is a custom that has risen within the past 30 years.  If we must applaud, let us applaud the Lord.  Your Apostle Paul writes: But "he who glories, let him glory in the LORD."  For not he who commends himself is approved, but whom the Lord commends. (2 Cor 10:17-18)  Dear Lord, please protect me from this dangerous trap.  I cannot blame the devil for my downfall.  If allow my self-centered pride to be nourished repeatedly, I place myself in danger.  Paul warns me to “...keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. (1 Cor 9:27)  KJV   Amen.


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment