Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Listening Stone

Saturday 3-26-16   La Lucila, Buenos Aires.
Scripture reading:  Joshua 23 – 24    Psalm 44    1 Cor 11

S.  Josh 24:26-28 Then Joshua wrote these words in the Book of the Law of God. And he took a large stone, and set it up there under the oak that was by the sanctuary of the LORD.  And Joshua said to all the people, "Behold, this stone shall be a witness to us, for it has heard all the words of the LORD which He spoke to us. It shall therefore be a witness to you, lest you deny your God." NKJV

So Joshua carefully recorded all this covenant in the Book of the Law of God.  And he moved a huge stone and set it under the large oak that stood beside the sanctuary of the Lord.  Then he called out to all the people.  “This stone has listened to all my words of precaution and it has heard your promises to serve God and all God’s words that you have heard today.  It will be listening, lest you go back on your agreement and deny God.”  NUHV*

O.  Joshua warns: “Boys are you paying attention to my sermon?  Do you see this stone?  It will be God’s witness to all that happened this day as we sealed your solemn covenant with God.  From now on it will be watching you and listening to your conversation.” 

A.  What’s in a stone?  In certain areas of northern Argentina there are large stones “geodes” that when broken open reveal beautiful deep purple amethyst.  But can it be that the big rock over there under that old oak tree is listening and recording sound?  How many terabytes can a huge stone record and retain?  Jesus told the Pharisees that if the children stopped worshipping Him, the stones of the temple would cry out His praises.  Okay, let’s say this is all symbolism.  It doesn’t change the fact that my every act and word is being recorded.  God doesn’t need electronics. He can make the very molecules in the air to testify.  Nothing will be hidden.  All could either testify against me or in my favor.  But... Praise God... all my sins are under the blood of Jesus.  That stone over there can’t condemn me. 

P.  I know that You, Father, don’t need spies and terabytes.  And even when there is no rock around... the wind is carrying my very thoughts into Your presence.  You are big enough to make a rock mountain, yet small enough to hear my thoughts.  May my desire always be to please You!  And I trust in our marvelous covenant that You sealed with the shed blood of Your Son, Jesus Christ, at Calvary.  I am not perfect.  I am forgiven!  Hallelujah!  Amen.

Ralph

*New Unauthorized Hiatt Version

No comments:

Post a Comment