Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Crushed at His Feet

Monday, April 18, 2016 Caleta Olivia, Patagonia
Scripture reading:  1 Sam 20 - 21    Psalm 34   Matt 5
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Ps 34:18 The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit.  Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all. NKJV

O. According to the International Bible Encyclopedia, “A contrite heart is one in which the natural pride and self-sufficiency have been completely humbled by the consciousness of guilt.” The psalmist is describing a spirit whose pride is crushed. This person no longer attempts to justify his or her wrong choices. It is a soul awakened to its depravity. He or she crashes in a heap before a righteous God and throws itself upon His great mercy.

Why is it easier to win an addict to Christ that a respectable neighbor? That neighbor has probably never seen himself or herself as a sinless holy God sees, while that addict may have reached the level of “contrition”.

A. I have a dear friend that justifies his situation, a result of his choices. It seems to me that he, like hundreds of others, wants to keep one foot in the church while maintaining his sinful situation. I do not choose to judge him, nor am I free to condone his unbiblical choices. Perhaps “contrition” is in order.

P. Oh, God. I have nothing good to offer you. I can only approach You as a broken and contrite spirit. Show me my heart as You see it. And let Your mercy, Your cleansing, and Your renewal give me a fresh new start... today and every day.  I lay crushed at Your feet.  Amen.

Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment