Thursday, April 14, 2016

You are Christ’s recommendation letter.

Sunday 4-3-16   Viedma, Prov of Rio Negro.
Scripture reading:  Judges 17 – 18    Ps 89   2 Cor 3
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  2 Cor 3:2-3 You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart. NKJV

2 Cor 3:2-3 You who have been converted under my ministry are my recommendation letter.  Your transformed lives are written indelibly in our hearts.  You are the proof of the truth and reality of our message.  Your lives are my recommendation letter signed by Christ Himself... a letter more permanent than if it had been carved in stone... for it is carved in our hearts.  NUHV*

O.  The ministry of the Apostle Paul was often criticized by certain elements among Jewish Christians.  He realized the great value of a recommendation letter... and he lifts high these faithful converts, proof of his effective ministry.  

A.  When Frances and I had recently married we moved from the Portland, Oregon area to Southern California to complete our ministry training at what is now called Vanguard University.  In the Portland area I had been supporting my education by driving a tank truck for ARCO and working nights in an ARCO service station.  I asked Frank Milliken, one of the two owners of Milliken and Servas Richfield Distributors, for a recommendation letter.  He wrote and signed a letter golden letter on the company stationery that surpassed my wildest expectations.  When I showed that letter to the Anaheim area ARCO distributors, they didn’t need a driver, but they hired me anyway and I worked for them 3 years until graduation. 

Today I am retired and not looking for a job.  But I have a powerful recommendation letter.  It is the lives of young men and women that have come to Christ under our ministry.  They are not perfect, but neither am I.  And some of you who are reading this devotional are the living, absolute proof of the effectiveness of the Gospel we have preached.  

P.  Lord Jesus, may You still use my life to reach out Your miracle working hand to transform lost sinners into rescued saints.  And may they never cease to be letters of recommendation, whose lives prove the effectiveness of Your powerful touch... not to make me look good, since I will soon fade from the picture... May they become Your powerful recommendation letters to our skeptical, unbelieving world.  Amen.

Ralph
PS.  What message is the world around us getting... as they study my life and yours?
*New Unauthorized Hiatt Version


No comments:

Post a Comment