Thursday, April 14, 2016

Borrowed Bones

Thursday 3-24-16   La Lucila, Buenos Aires.
Scripture reading:  Joshua 18 – 20    1 Cor 9

S.  1 Cor 9:27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. NKJV

O.  Paul compares our journey with Christ to a physical race.  He does not say it is easy.  It requires self-discipline.  His message to the Corinthians (1 Cor 6: 19, 20) show me clearly that my physical body does not belong to me.  Jesus has purchased it with the suffering that He endured in His physical body. 

A.  My body now serves as a temple in which God’s Spirit lives.  Still it is in my power to use it as I desire.  I must recognize that God now owns my body and dwells inside and not just when I am in church, but 24 / 7.  This great privilege brings with it a responsibility.  If He is owner of my body and He has just loaned it to me for a few fleeting years, I must choose how best to use it and not abuse it.  I must bring it under control to be most effective in this race.  A friend of mine writes that we must act in “ways that are fitting to our new Owner and Resident!”

P.  Lord, how can I ever bring my body under control?  I find fasting difficult.  Unconsciously I find myself with my nose in the refrigerator.  I know You are helping me.  I awaken early.  My feelings beckon me turn over in bed, but my decision is made and my will stubbornly drives me to rise and do at least 30 to 45 minutes of severe exercises each morning.  Why?  And why do I watch my diet?  Because I am not my own.  I am given the privilege of caring for this house for it is God’s temple.  I confess to You, Lord.  You know that I have not always been this careful. But now the years have become decades and “time” is wanting to destroy my effectiveness.  With Your help I will not give up without a fight... for I am not my own.  I have been bought with a sacred price.  Amen.

Ralph
(Borrowed ideas from my friend Ernest Leon Heibert)


No comments:

Post a Comment