Thursday, June 2, 2016

Corey was a drug dealer

Sunday 5-29-2016  (Gaiman, Patagonian Bible Institute, Argentina) 
Scripture Reading:  Prov 10 – 12     Rom 10
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Prov 10:2 Treasures of wickedness profit nothing, But righteousness delivers from death. NKJV

O.  Corey (not his real name) was a drug dealer, an armed robber and all the wild, ugly stuff that accompanies that life.  I had loved the kid from the day God sent him to me. He told me everything. We prayed together and met regularly twice weekly along with other addicts, some prostitutes, others helpless, hopeless addicts. Teen Challenge Argentina did not yet exist. Then Corey disappeared. One night I was driving the tidious one hour drive to meet with them.  My heart was broken for Corey. We had not seen him for a month. Tears poured as I drove.  As I turned down the street only two blocks from the shack where we met, I noticed a group of people under the street light on the corner.  I was in the middle of the intersection when I saw Corey in the group.  I did not think. My foot smashed the parking brake.  I leaped out and ran to Corey... through my arms around him pouring tears I cried, “Corey, Jesus loves you!  Jesus loves you!” And I couldn’t let go. I had left the engine running and the car in the middle of the intersection. Our meeting shack was only ½ block away. Corey agreed to come.  He was back, but he was not really back. The following service he was there, but wondering why.  Then one night something happened.  Two friends had borrowed his guns, both stolen from the local police station. He didn’t want to loan them.  He knew if there was a murder or an arrest he would be implicated. He had spent time in prison in Argentina and it was horrible. But these were his “friends” and he let them have them.  That was Friday. Now he lived in terror. Saturday he saw one and pleaded with him to return the weapons... he refused.  Sunday afternoon Corey prayed. On Tuesday night he told me the whole story, “I didn’t promise God anything. I just pled with Him to not let those guys do anything with the weapons. But then Jesus came into my room.  I didn’t see Him, but I knew He was there and he said, “I know your plans about getting rich with those weapons, but you will never be able to enjoy your riches.  Every day will be like today.  You will be hunted and haunted by the law.”  Monday morning the two friends returned the weapons, furious that they had not been able to pull off a single robbery.  Corey gave the weapons to a policeman friend, who sneaked the weapons back into the police station where they belonged.  And that Tuesday night became a great night of victory for Corey!

A. There is a lot more to that story, and some will appear in my book. Today, I just want a double dosage of the “Jesus kind of love.” It hurts.  It can break my heart.  Yet it can penetrate the thick crust of hatred and bitterness to conquer the heart of the deepest sinner. And not one of us can deserve it.  It is His free gift to me and you!

P.  Please Lord, go find me another Corey.  He died so very young of asthma.  Bring me another desperate life to rescue.  Or send me to the lost.  Give me back my youth... or, if You prefer, give me young Christian men and women with a passion for those helpless and hopeless ones who struggle with satanic chains that bind them.  The evil one promised treasures... but his “treasures profited nothing.”  Today, I am running into Your arms, Lord Jesus!  Amen.


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment