Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Sin of Silence

Tuesday 6-21-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  2 Kings 6 - 7   2 Chron 20    1 Tim 3
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  2 Kings 7:8-9  And when these lepers came to the outskirts of the camp, they went into one tent and ate and drank, and carried from it silver and gold and clothing, and went and hid them; then they came back and entered another tent, and carried some from there also, and went and hid it.  Then they said to one another, "We are not doing right. This day is a day of good news, and we remain silent. NKJV

O.  The Syrian army had surrounded the city of Samaria for a long period of time.  The people inside the walls were starving. Four lepers, who lived outside the city walls, decided to surrender to the Syrian army, but found the Syrian camp abandoned with an abundance of food and valuables. They ate and drank and hid treasures for themselves. And finally realized that they should not hide the good news any longer... and a whole city of starving people rushed out to find abundant food.

A.  I recently read a statement in a lesson designed for new Christians.  It said “we all sin every day.” That statement troubled me. I asked the Lord, “Don’t you send Your Holy Spirit to convict us whenever we sin, giving us the opportunity to repent and correct our ways?  That does not happen to me every day.  Do I really sin every day?”  Then I read this story.  I live in God’s continual blessing.  ‘The Lord is my Shepherd.  I shall not want.’  Am I hiding the treasures that the Lord has placed in my hands. Jesus sent us out to share the Good News. My sin, may be “the sin of silence.” 

P.  Oh Lord Jesus, inside the walls of my neighbors and friends there may be people that are starving for Your Truth.  Am I enjoying Your blessings and hiding Your treasures like those 4 lepers? Give me godly wisdom. Help me share Your blessings in a way that will be readily received. Help me break the chains of the “sin of silence”. Amen.

Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment