Wednesday, June 29, 2016

God’s Slave

Wednesday 6-29-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  Amos 4 – 6    Psalm 86 - 87   Titus 1
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Titus 1:1-4  Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect and the acknowledgment of the truth which accords with godliness, in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began,  but has in due time manifested His word through preaching, which was committed to me according to the commandment of God our Savior;  To Titus, a true son in our common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Savior. NKJV

O.  I went to my New testament in Koine Greek just to be sure.  Yes, the first seven words in Greek read just as Paul wrote it. “Paul, God’s slave, apostle of Jesus Christ...”  Paul begins all his letters by identifying himself.  Today we would start with “Dear Titus” and end by signing our name.  I usually “cheat” and go to the end of the letter to see who writing me. Paul knew who he was.  He was first of all, God’s slave and, second, one of Jesus Christ’s “sent ones”.  And he knew who he was writing to: Titus, my true son in our common faith.”

A. I never quite understood about the “identity crisis” referred to today: People who don’t really know who they are.  Paul could have started by telling his credentials.  Faithful apostle, chosen and sent to the gentile nations, church planting missionary to several countries.  But, no.  He knew who he really was... God’s slave... and then sent by Jesus Christ to carry the faith to those who would listen.  Who am I?  Can I declare that I and God’s slave?  Have I been sent by the Assemblies of God to Argentina or first and foremost by Jesus Christ?

P.  Oh, my Father, like the prodigal son, I pled just for the blessing to serve as Your slave.  But You placed sandals on my feet, a ring on my finger, a shining robe of Your righteousness and welcomed me into Your family.  Paul, too, was Your son, yet he did not brag about it.  He just called himself Your slave.  Lord, make me to be as obedient as Your slave, my brother Paul.  Amen.

Ralph   





No comments:

Post a Comment