Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Exercise

Wednesday 6-22-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  2 Kings 8 - 9   2 Chron 21    1 Tim 4
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  1 Tim 4:7b-8 “...Exercise yourself toward godliness.  For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.” NKJV

O.  The apostle Paul is leaving instructions for his younger companion.  He wants him to get his priorities right.  Physical exercise may help preserve your body in this life, but godliness, which is spiritual exercise, promises to bless you in this life and also in the life to come.

A.  Today, in sharp contrast to past centuries, many jobs require little physical exercise.  Many strong men and healthy women earn their living sitting at a computer and exercising only their eyes and fingers.  So the gyms sign up many customers that pay monthly fees, but their customers often confess that they seldom take advantage of it.  For many of us, taking care to exercise physically is more important for us than it was for the average worker of Paul’s era.  But God is saying to me, “Your regular morning exercises may help extend your useful life-span, but there is something much more important.  You need to exercise spiritually to prepare, not only for a blessed life here and now, but also for the life to come.”

P.  Oh Lord, you know me.  Nothing is hidden from Your eyes.  You watch me work-out almost every morning and You are encouraging me to get my priorities right.  I believe You, in Your great mercy and love, are calling to me today to draw near to You... to take quality-time with You.  My relationship with You means both a more profitable life here and at the same time prepares me for eternity with You.  I am running to You today.  I know Your arms of love are wide open to receive me.  Oh!  Envelope me in Your love once more today!  Amen.


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment