Monday, June 27, 2016

I’d rather have Jesus

Monday 6-27-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  2 Kings 13 – 14    2 Chron 25    2 Tim 3
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  2 Chron 25:8  “But if you go, be gone! Be strong in battle! Even so, God shall make you fall before the enemy; for God has power to help and to overthrow." NKJV

O.  I am appalled at the way almost every king of Israel, Judah or Syria thought he had to raise a great army and go off to wipe out some city or some other army.  They practiced terrible cruelty, such as pushing hundreds of people off a cliff to fall to their deaths and much more.  Several of these kings were later killed by their own people of their own city who were seeking power.  What a mess!  In the middle of it all an unnamed prophet tells the king, “Sure, you have a powerful army, but you shall fall before the enemy, for God has the power to help you or to overthrow you.”

A.  I do not covet the place of a king or powerful national leader.  True, a king may have certain privileges that the common man does not have, but there is always the very real danger that some hidden enemy in his own household might seek to kill him.  I would rather be a hard working peon living in a humble house together with his family in peace than to be a king reigning over an unstable nation.  “I’d rather have Jesus... than to be the king of a vast domain.”

P.  Oh Father God, You know that evil men have never stopped their cruelty.  Thousands, yes, millions still live most of their lives fleeing from some wicked, power-seeking enemy.  Your Son described all history in a single sentence, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (John 10:10 NIV)  I am so glad that You offer a full, abundant life in the midst of a cruel world.  I pray for the thousands of refugees that now have no homes and no peace.  May someone reach them and their wicked enemies, too, to give them Jesus!  Amen.

Ralph
I’d Rather Have Jesus
lyrics by Jim Reeves
I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold,
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or land,
Yes, I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand.
Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin's dread sway
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.
I'd rather have Jesus than worldly applause,
I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than worldwide fame,
I'd rather be true to His holy name.
Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin's dread sway
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today...





No comments:

Post a Comment