Friday, June 17, 2016

Oh! I am a bond-slave!

Friday 6-17-2016  Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  1 Kings 20 - 21   2 Chron 17    Col 3
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Col 3:22-25  Employees, do all the work your employers require of you, not just pleasing them when they are watching, but sincerely from your heart, for God is watching.  So everything you do, do it with your whole heart.  You are working for God, not for mere men.  And be aware that you will receive from the Lord a special bonus.  It will be like an inheritance, for you are really working for the Lord Jesus Christ.  NUHV* 

O.  Paul addresses this paragraph to “Bond-slaves”.  So perhaps I might pass it off with, “I am no bond-slave. This is written for long, long ago and far, far away.”  Somewhere back in my Bible School days a professor encouraged me to choose a scripture and rewrite it in my own words.  I have often followed his advice and it is the ‘origin’ of the New Unauthorized Hiatt Version, the *NUHV.

A.  Every one of us has probably been a “bond-slave”, an “employee” committed to a “boss” who tells us what to do.  I certainly have.  Our tendency may be to work hard and fast when the boss is watching and then sit down and relax as soon as his car drives away.  My “boss” may not be looking, but the “Big Boss”, who got me this job, is watching me and He says, “Ralph, You are not just working for him or her.  You are working for Me, so do your very best... for Me.  And in the long run, you will inherit my special bonus.”  

P.  Lord, many of Your people sacrifice and pray for missionaries.  I am their voluntary “bond-slave”.  I have chosen to be responsible to them.  I am not in this for an easy ride to a foreign country.  I am committed.  My job is to reach out to the lost and encourage the saved into surrender to Your perfect plan.  May I be faithful at all times, for You are my “Big Boss” and You are watching.  Amen.

Ralph
PS: Oh yes, and Lord, thank You for Your faithfulness in restoring my strength a little more each day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment